Installing a Bait / Tool / Drink Holder on Pedestal Stand

Started by Donald Garner, February 22, 2020, 06:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings, 

I added a Tool / Bait / Drink holder to the front pedestal in my G3 1548 Alwed Jon Boat.

Items needed for the task was;  Roger's Bait / Tool / Drink Holder >Purchased from Bass Pro Shop <; Cable Ties 3/8-4 15/16" Flexible Nylon Material; Pair of Cutters.

Listed below is the steps I took to make this upgrade. 
1.  Wipe clean the pedestal

2.  Secure the holder to the pedestal with (3) Cable Ties
I trimmed off the access cable tie material.

3.  The Bait / Tool / Drink holder is secured to the pedestal with tools attached

This holder comes with (2) metal screws and a hose clamp if you wanted to use them.  I decided to use heavy duty zip strips for this install.  This whole project took all of 5 minutes.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

nats

Captsteve

Steve
Headed for the Lake

FD

How far below the seat did you put it?

I've got one to put on mine but haven't gotten to that stage yet.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Deadeye

Looks good Don.

Keep in mind however that over time the Plastic Ties will weaken from Sun and Heat and WILL break apart. Hence the reason they give you the Hose clamp.

I made a holder for mine out of two Auto Vent style Cup Holders. Used a single Hose clamp and they have been on there for years, even though I rarely use the seat anymore.

I like yours much better with the added Tool Holders and wouldn't want you to loose it driving or running down the lake.

geneinnc

I've got the same storage bin.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TNDiver

There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

WTodd

FYI Bass Pro sells a double cup holder that has a heavy duty clamp and slots to secure it even more with plastic ties; here's mine

If you look close at the 2nd pic you can see the plastic ties.

I had the same one in my other boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captsteve

Quote from: WTodd on February 23, 2020, 09:01:42 AM
FYI Bass Pro sells a double cup holder that has a heavy duty clamp and slots to secure it even more with plastic ties; here's mine

If you look close at the 2nd pic you can see the plastic ties.

I had the same one in my other boat

I like the padded flooring on the deck. Good idea

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

WTodd

I got the padding at Tractor Supply; I think I paid $40 for it. It's actually 2 pieces that sort of lock together. By far it was least expensive way to go and works as well as a single piece.

Captsteve

Quote from: WTodd on February 23, 2020, 11:54:04 AM
I got the padding at Tractor Supply; I think I paid $40 for it. It's actually 2 pieces that sort of lock together. By far it was least expensive way to go and works as well as a single piece.

Looks comfortable and non slipage

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Captsteve

Sorry did not mean to jack the thread

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Donald Garner

Quote from: FD on February 23, 2020, 05:14:49 AM
How far below the seat did you put it? 

I came down 5 1/2 inches from the top of the pedestal.

Quote from: Deadeye on February 23, 2020, 06:26:21 AM
Looks good Don.

Keep in mind however that over time the Plastic Ties will weaken from Sun and Heat and WILL break apart. Hence the reason they give you the Hose clamp. 

Fred, roger that on the heat weakening the ties.  I kept the hose clamps.  I've actually used the hose clamps on my Stratos when I first got it.  I wanted to try something different to see how long these will last.  These zip strips are the wide thick ones.   
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Donald Garner

WT, those drink holders look good also tks for sharing the pictures.  I didn't see those at our Round Rock BPS.  They had some similar but they weren't made to wrap around the pedestal.  They had a flat back and was meant to be attached to a flat surface.

When you get the chance if you would put together a posting on how you did that matting.  That looks interesting.  How is it secured to the floor, does it raise up when driving down the highway?.

WTodd

I think the mats were 3'X5' each and they sort of snap together (mine snap together right down the middle. If you get the same kind you'll know what l'm talking about as soon as you see them. I screwed them down on the deck in the front (near the bow) using SS screws but I didn't use SS washers which means I need to replace the washers. They don't move at all either driving or on plane. I think I used 5 screws on each side.

To install them I snapped them together and laid them on the deck and then used a black Sharpie to trace where I needed to trim them (around the sides and TM foot pedal recess tray) and make sure you trim them around any rod or storage boxes too. A good heavy duty utility blade works great. I screwed them down and then trimmed any excess (I always under cut everything initially because you can't uncut something so there was a little trimming to do) so they laid against the sides.  I'm pretty anal so laying it out and doing the marking took me longer than some but I'm happy with it. It seems to help my knees and hips too. If you want to vacuum the carpet just flip them over the bow, vacuum and lay them back down.

WTodd

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 23, 2020, 03:14:19 PM
WT, those drink holders look good also tks for sharing the pictures.  I didn't see those at our Round Rock BPS.  They had some similar but they weren't made to wrap around the pedestal.  They had a flat back and was meant to be attached to a flat surface.
I know which ones you're referring to. The BPS here had the ones I got in black and white.