Here we go again

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 09, 2019, 03:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Still having motor issues.  Clearly a fuel deal but kinda unknown exactly what it is.  Made the appointment today to have some more stuff checked out.  The service shop has guaranteed me an entire day of dealing with only my issues and not messing with 4 or 5 other jobs at the same time.  So, here we go .  The process this time is focussed on the following items.

Replace all the batteries since my old ones are not doing well.  I have requested Interstates in the largest size that will fit.

Rebuild all 6 carbs

Inspect the reed valves and replace as needed

Remove and replace the fuel pick up line in the tanks if needed

Remove and replace the fuel filter/water separator ( Possible replacement for defective unit)

Inspect all fuel lines and connectors that were recently replaced in the spring

I sure hope that we will soon stumble upon what ever is creating the ongoing problems.  The earliest this will be done is this coming Friday or one day next week.  Chasing these motor gremlins is one of the most frustrating things I have ever been through after nearly 40 years of boat ownership.  Still a lot of fishing to do this year and I don't want to miss any more than I have already missed.

Lee Smith

one little air sucker will screw up everything on the older motors.  not an easy find on them, these newer
injected modes are much easier to catch.

best of luck Bud!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Oldfart9999

Bud, I really hope they get it solved, you've had enough grief with it over the last several years.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Bud, does this shop charge you for the same recurring issue?

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 10, 2019, 11:44:01 AM
Bud, does this shop charge you for the same recurring issue?

No they have been good about standing by previous work.  If anything new is needed then of course I have to pay.  They have been very fair with me with this issue.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 10, 2019, 12:14:08 PM
No they have been good about standing by previous work.  If anything new is needed then of course I have to pay.  They have been very fair with me with this issue.

Thank goodness.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 10, 2019, 12:14:08 PM
That's the good news, they sound like good dealership to do business with.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Problems still not resolved.  All carbs undergoing rebuild yesterday and today.  Problems found and parts just ordered for overnight delivery.  Should arrive tomorrow.  So, the frustration continues.  We have been undergoing a systematic process of checking out a whole series of things and final analysis still pointed at the carbs.  Reeds, Filters, Fuel tank pick ups and fuel pump all checked as good.

Wife is demanding that I stop spending on this old motor iif something does not have positive results pretty soon.  She is demanding a new motor be purchased and although it may yet come to that we have to go through this last bit of repair activity.  Really regretting not buying a new motor a year ago when all this hoo ha began. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 19, 2019, 03:07:31 PM
Problems still not resolved.  All carbs undergoing rebuild yesterday and today.  Problems found and parts just ordered for overnight delivery.  Should arrive tomorrow.  So, the frustration continues.  We have been undergoing a systematic process of checking out a whole series of things and final analysis still pointed at the carbs.  Reeds, Filters, Fuel tank pick ups and fuel pump all checked as good.

Wife is demanding that I stop spending on this old motor iif something does not have positive results pretty soon.  She is demanding a new motor be purchased and although it may yet come to that we have to go through this last bit of repair activity.  Really regretting not buying a new motor a year ago when all this hoo ha began.

Unfortunately we can't change the past, the good news is, it sounds like you have a green light from the boss for a new outboard.  :-*

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 19, 2019, 04:26:07 PM
Unfortunately we can't change the past, the good news is, it sounds like you have a green light from the boss for a new outboard.  :-*
That's what I was thinking also.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 19, 2019, 04:26:07 PM

Kind of a bag of worms.  You see she got what she wanted with all the renovation of the house.  Still a couple more things to do but the big money has been spent.   She knows that I am a bit tight fisted with the budget and will have to agonize about spending more money right at this time.  It is most likely something I would do during the winter months.  I am still wanting an E Tech and each fall and winter they offer a sale for 10 year warranty and a $1K allowance for rigging.  I will continue to look at the Pro XS Merc but I am very concerned with the over weight of 456 lbs vs 418 for the e tech.  My Johnson Fast Strike weighs 370 lb and from what I can tell about my old ranger hull that lighter the motor the better it is for this particular hull. 

Bud Kennedy

On water test today went very well.  Motor turning about 5600 rpm and has good power from hole shot to cruise.  There still is a slight problem with the carb jets.  Inspection appears that at sometime in their long life someone has run a drill bit down the jets.  They are now not the correct size so new high speed jets are now ordered and should be in on Wednesday.  The jets problem appears to be dumping excess fuel into the motor causing some overload issues that is more noticeable at full throttle.  When you throttle back is when you can feel it and kinda acts like the motor does not want to fully throttle down for just a moment.

The boat is now ok to run but I elected to leave it at the service shop until it is fully complete.  It has been a long long frustrating battle and I hope like heck we finally got this figured out.  Total bill for all this service including the new trolling and start batteries is right around $1.5K   So late next week I will have the boat back and hopefully good to go for a long time.

allaboutfun

Wait...your wife is "demanding" that you stop spending money on this motor and get a new one?  I think this falls into the "she who shall be obeyed " category.
So, the balls in your court Bud. Best to keep her happy
Strike while the irons hot.
That beauty deserves a new motor!

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 19, 2019, 08:28:40 PM
Kind of a bag of worms.  You see she got what she wanted with all the renovation of the house.  Still a couple more things to do but the big money has been spent.   She knows that I am a bit tight fisted with the budget and will have to agonize about spending more money right at this time.  It is most likely something I would do during the winter months.  I am still wanting an E Tech and each fall and winter they offer a sale for 10 year warranty and a $1K allowance for rigging.  I will continue to look at the Pro XS Merc but I am very concerned with the over weight of 456 lbs vs 418 for the e tech.  My Johnson Fast Strike weighs 370 lb and from what I can tell about my old ranger hull that lighter the motor the better it is for this particular hull.

well, you could go with lithium batteries too!  that'll lighten things up as well.

SteveTX

Quote from: coldfront on September 21, 2019, 05:23:50 PM
well, you could go with lithium batteries too!  that'll lighten things up as well.
True! That could really offset the weight difference on the new engine should it happen.

coldfront

Quote from: SteveTX on September 21, 2019, 05:58:40 PM
True! That could really offset the weight difference on the new engine should it happen.

how much weight do you think would be eliminated JUST from the wallet alone?
lo

SteveTX

Quote from: coldfront on September 21, 2019, 06:45:04 PM
how much weight do you think would be eliminated JUST from the wallet alone?
lo
On average I'm guessing he has 3 batteries. Sooo id say roughly $5000.00 to $6000.00. Just from the wallet.  ~roflmao

Of course that could easily become a cost from that "demand" he was given to get the new motor.   >:D Who cares what the price per lb is to save weight.  ~shade  Those are some pricey pounds.  :'(

Bud Kennedy

Although I have spent a lot of money on this old motor, the total amount spent is about 50% of the cost of a new motor.  This is for a time period of over 5 years.  So. I am still ahead of the game but I have reached my limit other than for routine maintenance.  If any other things start going wrong that is going to run into big bucks then a new motor will happen.  I am moving forward in my quest to re power and if a deal can be made I will likely do it this winter sometime.  At least with the old motor now running good I will be able to take my time and have some fun fall and winter fishing. 

coldfront

;D

just teasing Bud.  I'd be doing the same thing.  it's a lot cheaper to repair than replace a LOT of things!

trucks, boats... spouses...   :shocking:

~roflmao

Bud Kennedy

I must like old things I guess.  The Wife's car is 14 years old, My truck is 12 years old.  We have been married just shy of 52 years. And of course the boat and motor is 29 years old.  I have always repaired instead of replaced.  I must be a bit tight fisted with my money.  Both the Wife and Myself still have all of our original parts so I guess it runs in the family.    My dad always said if you take care of things they will take care of you.