Little Things Cause Problems

Started by Bud Kennedy, October 07, 2019, 02:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

After having so many problems with my motor, the final deal that once corrected really made all the difference in the world.

Remember just about everything with the motor has been swapped out over the past three years.  If it was fuel related it got replaced or rebuilt. But there was always was this problem that would always rear its ugly head.  Just could not get good rpms or could not maintain rpms consistently. from time to time it you could feel the bump of a mis fire but only once in a while.  As it has turned out this may have been the major culprit all along plus the fact a head gasket was leaking.  So here it is.

It seems the Encoder had a crack in it causing ignition to be a bit out of sync.

Here you can see the crack as pointed out.  Just this little bit can be a big deal.

So, after replacement of the encoder and optical sensor the motor performs super well (for now)

On water test from idle to WOT  (5800 RPM) was smooth and strong.  Also noted no carb overloading on deceleration.

With practically the entire motor components being swapped out it is pretty much a new motor.

big g

Happy for you, nothing worse than a motor you don't have confidence in. ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Bassinkorea

Glad to hear the latest issue is resolved  ~c~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

merc1997

On Heaven's Lake

Pacific NW Ron

I'm happy for you that you finally found the culprit.  So much time to find such an easy fix.  Those little cracks like that are good at hiding and hard to find.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?