2004 Johnson 175 Motor

Started by pestrem, November 18, 2020, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pestrem

You all have helped me before with my new motor. I've got another question for you.

I replaced a 2004 Johnson 175 Bombardier, 20 inch shaft on my Stratus with a 2020 150 Mercury.
The lower unit on the Johnson went out for the second time and I wasn't willing to spend a significant amount to replace it (the lower unit), only to have to replace it again further down the line.

So I got the new motor. The Johnson motor itself still runs strong. The dealer who changed the motors for me is holding the Johnson for me with the hopes that someone would be interested in buying it for parts. This was back in May. So far there have been no offers on it. I understand that it's an old engine and that Johnson/Evinrude are out of business. That said, is it realistic for someone to make an offer on the old motor or should I write it off as scrap? 

I'm in the panhandle of Florida. Seems like there might be one or two other 15 Johnson's looking for parts.

Thanks,

pre
The older I get, the smarter my dad becomes!

Bud Kennedy

Not really an attractive item to purchase without knowing a whole bunch more about the motor.  The fact you lost two lower units quickly suggests that there may be additional problems that could be either linkage or drive shaft problems.  The other piece to know is some compression numbers.  With that information perhaps some would would risk it.  Lots of bits and pieces in that motor that could be wanted by others is possible. 

pestrem

I don't know what the compression numbers on the motor.  And it wasn't in quick succession that the lower units went bad.  It was July of 2014 when the unit went out the first time. I replaced it with a used lower unit that lasted until April of this year; so it lasted just over six years.  i don't expect it to sell for a bunch and figured it would be more for someone needing to replace part at the top end of the motor.  That said, it may be time to see how much I can get out of it for scrap. 
The older I get, the smarter my dad becomes!

Mike Cork

It's all about advertising. Here in Louisiana we have several facebook pages for selling outboards and outboard parts. No matter what you have, there is someone that wants it for the right price.

Start searching for the Outboard For Sale Facebook pages in your area and you'll get it sold. Florida probably has a hundred of these pages. There are simply way to many boats (inshore and offshore) for there not to be a buyer or someone needing that exact power head.

As bud said numbers would be good.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Get the compression numbers, if they're good it will sell easy.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Wizard

Well said, Mr. Cork.  Johnson 150/175 were very good motors. There are fewer motors over time that are usable because of the VRO oil system used by Johnson. If I wanted a Johnson, I would look to see if the VRO was attached. If it is there, I would ask if it was bypassed and oil added in the tank. If the VRO was used, it would be a scary decision to make. If the oil had always been mixed in tank, my angst over the decision would lessen greatly.
Another check would be to run a scope into each chamber and inspect the pistons for wear and damage.

Wizard