Dad’s Boat

Started by SHC286, April 29, 2024, 10:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHC286

He passed away back in February. It was a real shock, 65 years old, mostly great health. He had leukemia, but it was such early stage his doctor recommended they not even treat it. He said old age would get him before the leukemia, and the treatment would be worse than the disease. None of us expected a heart attack while sleeping in his recliner. He was fit and spry, construction worker, business owner, project superintendent with another major construction business, then retirement. He'd told me he'd thought of starting a guide service, but didn't want to turn his passion into a job. He fished tournaments all over Mississippi. He stayed busy, he was busier in retirement than he ever was while working. He was actually sleeping in his recliner because he'd pulled a muscle while helping a friend pour a slab, and it was just the most comfortable position he could find.

I inherited his boat. A '97 Ragin Cajun. I know nothing about boats really. I can crank one, put the throttle forward, and steer. And this one has a Hot Foot so I don't even know how to operate that yet. I assume it's pretty simple, he liked things simple. I'll be picking y'all's brains as I go. It has all the original manuals and catalog with it. I'll be trying to get the paperwork done this week, work permitting. It has the same model motor that originally came with it, a 150 Fast Strike, but my understanding is that it's not the actual original motor but one he pulled off another boat. It's supposed to be a year or two newer and allegedly had some performance tuning of some sort done to it.

My first task is getting it into its new home. My sister brought it down from up there close to Memphis, but the delivery didn't quite go as planned. It's stuck in the mud. Once we realized it wasn't gonna move and the tires on his old truck simply weren't gonna get any traction, I made the call to just drop it where it sit, recover the truck, and try again when things dry out a bit. I've got it covered with a great big tarp right now. I hope the pics come through okay.

SHC286

Figured this pic would go with this thread.

apenland01

Very sorry to hear about your dad.

Capt. BassinLou

Condolences on your Dad's passing.

Princeton_Man

Very sorry to hear about your Dad, SHC. Prayer for peace and comfort for you and your family. What a peaceful way to go though, laid back in his own recliner. It's harder on the family because no one is prepared for it, especially so young. But it sure beats the struggling, suffering, and agony, I've watched so many loved ones go through before making the journey.

Good lookin' boat! I see a Ragin' Cajun on Smith Mountain Lake and Claytor every now and then. That FastStrike is the same as the Evinrude Intruder. The early 150s were actually doing closer to 200 right out of the box. It caused quit a stir around 1991. If it still has the oil pump you can be sure that one is doing at least 175. If your dad had it tweaked, it's probably closer to 200. BTW, even with the cover on it, make sure the plug is out.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

J.W.

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. I think he left you an awesome way to remember him and to also go make some new memories. 

Donald Garner

SHC, welcome back stranger.  Sure sorry to hear of the passing of your dad.  I'll add you and your family to my daily prayers.

He left you a really nice boat there.  Good luck with getting it operational again.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SHC286

Don, it was operational as of February 10th and 11th, the last time he took it out. He pulled a muscle in his lower back on the 12th, And passed on the 16th. We fired it up Sunday, but we couldn't find the muffs for it (I know he had 2-3), so we only idled it for about 5 seconds or so. It was just to make sure it would crank. So, I should be good to go after getting the paperwork changed over.

BASSCATLILDAVE

SHC286

I took some more pics guys. Remember, I know nothing about bass boats. I'm a guy that sits on a rotomolded plastic pipe and works a double ended paddle. So. Tell me what y'all think, ask me questions, let me know if there's anything I need to look out for.

Also, I want to thank y'all for the condolences. He'd told me once about a year after his mom passed, "the pain never goes away, but it gets easier to live with it because you get stronger as you do."

SHC286

SHC286

A couple more...

The last one is pretty special. I gave him that reel for his birthday last year. He and I both are Abu Garcia fans. That's his favorite bait too. Didn't matter what lake or what time of year he always started with that tube, flipping it in cypress trees. If it caught fish, great. If it didn't, he'd change it up. But that was always his first cast.

J.W.

Man that Johnson Fast Strike looks clean as a whistle.

SHC286

Quote from: J.W. on May 02, 2024, 09:28:53 PMMan that Johnson Fast Strike looks clean as a whistle.

I don't know what he did as far as keeping it clean. I know it was always kept in a fully enclosed shop and he did detail the engine bay of his truck occasionally, so he may have done the same with the boat.

Right now the boat is probably the dirtiest it's been since he got it. Mud on the front, spare ATV tire and an ATV gun rack sitting on the deck... yeah, he'd probably be crawling up my butt if he could see it right now. I'm gonna clean that up before I go to work in the morning and start shopping for a good boat cover.

Donald Garner

:toot: You got yourself a real gem there  ;)   Your dad did a great job of taking care of his equipment.  I  know you're really going to enjoy being out on the water in it.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Very nicely equipped! ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FlatsNBay

So sorry for your loss. That Ragin Cajun is a classic. Looks like it's in great shape too. I'm sure that your dad is proud of you for carrying on the tradition of his great boat.