Winter Storage

Started by bobhuberman, November 22, 2021, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobhuberman

What do you all think about storing rods & reels, bait, etc. on your boat over winter?  I'm in Central Virginia, we do get freezing weather and my boat has to be stored outdoors.  Usually, I move all my gear indoor for the winter but I'm just wondering if maybe I could just leave it on board until spring.  I know liquids and such would have to be removed but should rods & reels and other baits also be removed?  Thanks.

zippyduck

I wouldn't do that. I bring all my rods into the house. and all my baits. Especially hard baits. I try to keep them out of extreme heat and cold. The expansion and contraction will crack them.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

D.W. Verts

I don't have and have never had the luxury of a warm place to keep all of my crap, er, tackle. I make sure that the rods are stored upright and STRAIGHT. This year I'll be pulling all of my reels off for cleaning, so they'll be warm, at least for a while.

I've had most of my bait problems (hard baits) in extreme hot weather. The heat causes the glue in them to go to a semi-gaseous state, and they get fat. Not good fat, either.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

All of mine go into an unheated shed, out of the sun but still in the vagaries of temp change, haven't had an issue yet.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.