Thoughts on Level Wind

Started by greenpig, January 30, 2024, 03:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpig

hi,forum
how about if baitcasting reel's level wind move to both side(left&right)
when before casting when press clutch bar.
and when start to handling initially it quick move to center position.
and doing its job of left and right move to arrange line like normally.

(line guide)
 ||     ----->   |       |
 >two line guide bar quick move/position to each left and right side when press cluth bar.
 >and if start handling two sided bar quickly position center and
   move left and right by reeling just like normally.
 >while unposition & positioning wind bar the line is always stay in the middle of two bar.

purpose of this is when casting to open space for less line friction for smooth long casting.

simply,it's like when you clapping your hand both hand gather to center and seperating
for the reel, after both hand gathered two hand(level wind) move left and right together.

this time you click for opening level wind,too

Smallie_Stalker

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you are asking here.

The old round ABU Garcia reels have a non- disengaging level wind that moved from side to side during the cast to ensure the line came off the spool smoothly and without creating sharp angles.

This made for much freer and much longer casts without stressing the line or the level wind because it reduced friction on the line as it left the spool/reel.

Many of the ideas you present have already been done in one form or another, so if this is what you were aiming for then it already exists.

If what I said is not what you meant please explain further so we can try and understand and help you with your question.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 30, 2024, 12:03:17 PMSorry, I don't quite understand what you are asking here.

The old round ABU Garcia reels have a non- disengaging level wind that moved from side to side during the cast to ensure the line came off the spool smoothly and without creating sharp angles.

This made for much freer and much longer casts without stressing the line or the level wind because it reduced friction on the line as it left the spool/reel.

Many of the ideas you present have already been done in one form or another, so if this is what you were aiming for then it already exists.

If what I said is not what you meant please explain further so we can try and understand and help you with your question.

Cheers!

I think what they're saying is the levelwind would separate when you press the release bar. The left half would go the left of the spool, the right half would go to the right of the spool.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 30, 2024, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 30, 2024, 12:03:17 PMSorry, I don't quite understand what you are asking here.

Cheers!

I think what they're saying is the levelwind would separate when you press the release bar. The left half would go the left of the spool, the right half would go to the right of the spool.
Ah. I think you're right.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Captsteve

Quote from: greenpig on January 30, 2024, 03:54:31 AMhi,forum
how about if baitcasting reel's level wind move to both side(left&right)
when before casting when press clutch bar.
and when start to handling initially it quick move to center position.
and doing its job of left and right move to arrange line like normally.

(line guide)
 ||     ----->   |       |
 >two line guide bar quick move/position to each left and right side when press cluth bar.
 >and if start handling two sided bar quickly position center and
   move left and right by reeling just like normally.
 >while unposition & positioning wind bar the line is always stay in the middle of two bar.

purpose of this is when casting to open space for less line friction for smooth long casting.

simply,it's like when you clapping your hand both hand gather to center and seperating
for the reel, after both hand gathered two hand(level wind) move left and right together.

this time you click for opening level wind,too
Try Diawa T wing

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Captsteve on January 30, 2024, 06:27:11 PMTry Diawa T wing

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Yup, T-wing does it without a lot of extra moving parts. Over half my reels are Tats.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

There were reels in the late 80's that did this, they were a disaster because of parts failure. Too many parts moving creates eventual failure.

Now we are forty years further in technology, maybe something can be accomplished that will survive the bass fisherman.

I think the process was dropped because it didn't really help casting distance or accuracy that much.

In a round reels where the level wind actually moves when the line is peeling out, this might be advantageous

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Hobious

in Taiwanese..they say, "BOOM MING BUY".  which means "I don't understand"

I used to think it meant.."WTF are you talking about?"...my wife won't teach me that one..so I have to go with boom ming buy, here.  :D