RIP-Secret Spot

Started by FlatsNBay, May 04, 2017, 03:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

A few months ago I found a great looking spot on state property. It was only visible by Google Earth but was only a short walk from the vehicle. It was a marshy area that  was bordered on 2 sides by a canal. The first recon trip with a buddy resulted in a bunch of small bass on a finesse worm. The biggest went about 3 lbs. so there was hope that the pond contained a few bigger fish. Well my suspicion​ was correct when I returned a month later and caught about an 8 pounder off a frog! I only had a short time to fish so I just had to return to spend some more time there. I returned a month ago to rapidly changing conditions. The marshy area was completely dry which concentrated all of the fish into the canal. Boy was it incredible! I caught one good one after another up to 7 lbs. on a swim jig. I went to bed that night smiling knowing that I found a really good secret honey hole. Unfortunately we haven't had any rain at all for months. My buddy stopped by the pond last week and said that the conditions were getting worse and that the pond might dry up if we didn't get any rain. We talked about returning to catch and relocate as many bass as we could.

Today I went back to check out the conditions. As I walked towards the pond through the woods I could smell it.......fish.........the overwhelming stench of dead fish! I walked up to what used to be the pond and it was just a trickle only an inch or two deep. Dead fish everywhere! Big fish too. Hundreds of them! If only we got some rain. There may be a fish or two left somewhere in the trickle of water if there is somewhere deep enough to hopefully replenish the lake after a rain. I can only hope..

The first pic is about an 8 pounder. The second pic is a couple of smaller ones.

Capt. BassinLou

Awww man, that sucks!! Sorry about your spot Flats. This happens a lot in the marshes out in the glades. Fish don't migrate in time to the surrounding canals and they get trapped in the marshes and perish when the water dries up.

big g

Flats, what a shame all those fish gone.  It will take years before the place returns if you get some heavy rains.  It once happened down here at the bombing range south of sawgrass.  The state drained the entire place and people were filling coolers with stranded bass as the water just continued to drop.  The gators loved the easy meals and soon the only water was in the old gator holes.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SFL BassHunter

Flats that really sucks!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Montyb64

That's terrible.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Wow that is just horrible....

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Deadeye

Now here is the reality of it all, this is just one spot that we know of since Flats found it a short time ago. Just think how many times this is being repeated all over this state as the waters keep drying up due to almost no rain.

Out where my SIL has property and rides his 4-wheeler for 'mudding' they have a spot call The Black Hole. Called so because it such a deep hole filled with Black Mud that almost no one can make it across.A few of the bigger Mud Trucks can but the 4-wheelers almost never do.

Now you can ride whatever you want through there as it is dry. Dust dry. If the rains don't come soon in June like they normally do we will be in trouble all over the state for water. 

Adam

kadas

That sucks--sorry!!  We need rain :(