Tilapia

Started by FlatsNBay, June 16, 2022, 08:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

It seems like it is getting more frequent for me. Every so often I catch a tilapia while bass fishing. I'm not talking about accidentally snagging one, I'm talking hooking them in the mouth. Yesterday, I was fishing a crankbait and one choked it (as best as he could with his little mouth)! The time before that, I caught one flipping under a mat of vegetation, again right in the mouth. Anybody else frequently catch them while targeting bass?

big g

A friend that lives on the rim canal at the Big O told me, the Moon Shine Bay is full of big Tilapia!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

topdsm0138

I know green tilapia will do that, but the blue tilapia mainly eat grass down here.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

FlatsNBay

Tops, these are blue tilapia which is very surprising!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

topdsm0138

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 16, 2022, 11:49:11 AM
Tops, these are blue tilapia which is very surprising!

That is a bit of a shocker there.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 16, 2022, 08:16:57 AM
It seems like it is getting more frequent for me. Every so often I catch a tilapia while bass fishing. I'm not talking about accidentally snagging one, I'm talking hooking them in the mouth. Yesterday, I was fishing a crankbait and one choked it (as best as he could with his little mouth)! The time before that, I caught one flipping under a mat of vegetation, again right in the mouth. Anybody else frequently catch them while targeting bass?

A friend of mine caught his first Tilapia in the Glades like that too a little while ago. It happens more than we think apparently.

Larry Francis

I asked a FWC expert Fisheries Biologist about this when I first got down to Florida. His explanation is they spawn 3-4 times a year and they are protecting their beds when they hit lures with their mouth. makes sense to me.
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on June 17, 2022, 04:53:29 AM
I asked a FWC expert Fisheries Biologist about this when I first got down to Florida. His explanation is they spawn 3-4 times a year and they are protecting their beds when they hit lures with their mouth. makes sense to me.

That's basically what I think as well. Since their populations are so high, the chances of coming across one on a bed is pretty high too.

Time2Fish

Caught this one mid April near PBI. On a chartreuse spinnerbait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topdsm0138

Quote from: Time2Fish on June 17, 2022, 06:53:25 AM
Caught this one mid April near PBI. On a chartreuse spinnerbait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice sandwich there.

FlatsNBay

I caught another one today. I was fishing with a spinnerbait when I saw a fish waking behind the bait. As it got closer, I could see a light colored fish following my bait. I thought it might be a lighter colored bass so I slowed my retrieve and he sucked the spinnerbait in. It turned out to be a 3 pound tilapia. Later on in the morning it happened again only this time I sped the bait up to keep it away from the tilapia. Pretty crazy! There were no beds around as far as I could tell.

Capt. BassinLou

Pat Dilling

I caught this 6.2 pound tilapia at Lake Picachos in Mexico last year. It bit a square bill crankbait and put up one heck of a fight!  A little while later I caught one over 3.  Our guide was excited, dinner for a couple days.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Pat Dilling on July 26, 2022, 02:40:38 PM
I caught this 6.2 pound tilapia at Lake Picachos in Mexico last year. It bit a square bill crankbait and put up one heck of a fight!  A little while later I caught one over 3.  Our guide was excited, dinner for a couple days.
Holy moley! A 6 pound tilapia!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

acesover

I got into them a while back using the fly rod, they were a lot of fun with a 5wt