Florida Drop Shot

Started by FlatsNBay, July 04, 2023, 11:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

One of the most overlooked techniques for Florida fishing is the drop shot. I've heard so many reasons why it doesn't work in Florida because of either the shallow grassy waters or the limestone canals and lakes of south Florida. Let me tell you, the drop shot works all over Florida!

Depending on the type of water you are faced with, you can make a few modifications if needed. In extremely grassy waters, a drop shot with the soft plastic bait threaded weedless on a light wire hook Texas rigged will help with hang ups. Also try a cylinder shaped weight to easily slip in and out of grass. I've had great success fishing a drop shot this way on deep hydrilla flats.

For deep clear lakes, rock pits, or canals a drop shot can be a very natural presentation that attracts bass from far away.

Don't discount fishing a drop shot while fishing from the bank. It's really easy and works great any time that the water has good visibility. Cast along drop offs rocks and ledges.

You can use a variety of baits on a drop shot. I like small worms such as a Berkley Max Scent Flatworm, a Yum Warning Shot, or a Robo Worms. When bass are feeding on minnows or small baitfish , I like a Zoom Tiny Fluke, Berkley Flat Minnow, or a Yum Sonar Minnow.

Another option is to drop shot a small 3" to 4" stick worm hooked in the middle wacky rig style.

When you get a hit, just lean in to the fish and start to reel and the light wire hook will penetrate and keep the fish pinned.

My biggest drop shot bass was 9 lbs and was caught fishing from the bank at a culvert pipe.

When fishing is tough in Florida, give the drop shot a try. It's not just a northern bait anymore.

Capt. BassinLou

Good stuff, Steve. Thanks for sharing those nuggets of drop shot info with us.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

Oh yea! I never do not have the dropshot rigged and ready. Sometimes it is the only thing they will eat.
Molon Labe

Mike Cork

Some of our highly pressured lakes over here in the boot state require a drop shot to even get bit. Small lakes, multiple weekday tournaments and then the weekend stuff... a drop shot can put them in the boat.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service