Modern Reels Are A Joke

Started by CommandoDude247, August 10, 2014, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CommandoDude247

Calcuttas are still reasonably priced and well built, but you will have to spend quite a bit more than $220 to get build quality close to the TD-X.

Point I'm trying to make is reel quality is getting crappier for the most part while prices remain high for what you get. I for one don't care what modern plastics are capable of as my reels have little of it in them.

Look at ABU Revos, Lew's, Okuma, Pinnacle, BPS models, etc. Most of them utilize cheap brass, pot metal parts that wear and/or strip easily under normal use/care.

Let's see how well the carbon frames/sideplates hold up over the years. Probably won't be even remotely close to what aluminum is capable of.

Of course all manufacturers cheap out in the product line, even Daiwa and Shimano.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: CommandoDude247 on August 11, 2014, 03:53:57 PM
Calcuttas are still reasonably priced and well built, but you will have to spend quite a bit more than $220 to get build quality close to the TD-X.

Point I'm trying to make is reel quality is getting crappier for the most part while prices remain high for what you get. I for one don't care what modern plastics are capable of as my reels have little of it in them.

Look at ABU Revos, Lew's, Okuma, Pinnacle, BPS models, etc. Most of them utilize cheap brass, pot metal parts that wear and/or strip easily under normal use/care.

Let's see how well the carbon frames/sideplates hold up over the years. Probably won't be even remotely close to what aluminum is capable of.

Of course all manufacturers cheap out in the product line, even Daiwa and Shimano.

Um, CuradoB's were plastic, and........ ~bb
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

I am part of the "aging and injured" group that have posted here and I have to agree that for me personally lighter is becoming more and more of a necessity. I still use my old round Abu Garcia 5501 on a deep cranking rod, but only because of the line capacity on that reel. If I could find a low profile reel that was light weight but had a similar line capacity I would go with it in a heartbeat.

Here's another aspect - I am for now strictly a bank fisherman. I usually carry 2 to 3 rod/reel combos along with a soft-side tackle bag. Besides my tackle, that bag also includes a spare reel for each rod along with spare spools (Usually 2 for each spinning reel and 1 for some of my casting reels). All of that being lugged around the shoreline, up hills through bushes etc  can really add up and takes it's toll when you aren't a youngster and you have health issues. So anywhere I can go lighter and still have confidence that I can land a fish if I hook it, I am going to go lighter.

For me, lightweight is a necessity if i want to be able to spend any reasonable length of time at the water.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Brocksdad1

But yet I still don't see your fact based input only your 2c. How do you come to the conclusion it's pot metal or cheep brass.
Then you say under normal use and care.
People who spend good money on good reels don't just use normal maintenance. And carbon fiber is in most instances 10 stronger than aluminum will ever be. And not susceptible to corrosion. The material used in modern reels are in a lot of ways designed to ward off corrosion unlike the one of yesterday.
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

MCS

This dude u want a reel or a time machine?  I dont know how you can pay a ten yr old price and get the same product, it is unnatural. Dude cost of everything has gone up in ten yrs, inflation the constant thirst revenue investments to keep up up up only lead to higher $ and less for the consumer. Fact of the world we live in just gotta deal with it. The reels catch fish all the same.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Mike Bush

Quote from: Lsmith500 on August 11, 2014, 09:46:58 AM
Go through a few rounds of Chemo and see if those oz's make a difference?  If it weren't for getting thrown off this board, I would say what I think!

Yeah. Ill agree with all of that one.

Advancement in technology has been great is some peoples eyes, not so much in others. It is in everything we use.

Before people bitch....take a guess what you are doing right now that allows you to complain across the world about fishing gear.

Brocksdad1

Quote from: Mike Bush on August 11, 2014, 07:44:12 PM
Yeah. Ill agree with all of that one.

Advancement in technology has been great is some peoples eyes, not so much in others. It is in everything we use.

Before people bitch....take a guess what you are doing right now that allows you to complain across the world about fishing gear.
X2

But let's not throw stones I suppose, we should welcome you here.
But I must say it's hard when you start by being negative right off the bat.

Just try to see what folks are saying before you rebuttal. You don't have many valid points commando
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

Cheap Hooker

Quote from: CommandoDude247 on August 10, 2014, 07:01:34 PM

This thread may stir some debate, but I have an opinion like others and thought I would add my thoughts on the subject. s
~shhh ~shhh

I have 4 Pflueger Trion's  , L olve the 6 pin reels and now that I moved to Sacramento and there are Striped Bass across the street in the River I will add 2 ABU c-4 "s  Why Because that is what I can afford, they last me a long while with yearly maintenance 
I like fishing because it is not working

njpaulc

I'm 62 and also have physical issues, but I find that balanced equipment is much better than light (or should I say lite LOL) equipment.  I use 5000 and 4000 size Ambassadeurs and find the 10 ounces to be a good weight, the reels fit my hands (which are not large) well, and yes I palm the reel.  A combination that is tip heavy or butt heavy is much more taxing.  I think it's funny that they make reels so light that you have to put weighs in the butt of the rod to balancce your setup.

I find weight to be more of an issue in spinning tackle.

Cheap Hooker

Hey Njpaulc, have you tried the new Ambassedur C-3 with the new handle. I have a good price available on a Old school Record, that has been factory rebuilt and a new C 3, trying to make up my mind

njpaulc

Haven't needed to try the new ones yet, my old ones are fine.  Never looked closely at the record, too rich for my blood. lo

Cheap Hooker

Thanks, there is a factory rebuild site has 2 records for 75, that's not bad. I can also get a few of the older school NIB c-3's for 60 each, I a like the lower capacity spool on the Record but never had the money to fish one , now that I need a couple of round reels probably go to the 2 older C-3's Thanks for your input

Pro Reel

I'm going to have to disagree on several points. As a reel tech, I work on hundreds of reels a year. Some old and some new. Most new reels are far better than the older reels. If you like nostalgia, then by all means keep using the old reels, but don't try to say they were built better. The old reels have plastic parts also. Your Calcutta has a complete plastic housing inside the gear case that holds all the components. Most modern reels of any quality now have bearings in the handle knobs instead of the old riveted post systems of yesteryear, I hate riveted posts and would never use an old reel unless I could put a modern handle on it. Modern reels have much stronger helical cut gearing. Most of the old reels i get feel like coffee grinders. If that doesn't bother you, then keep grinding away, I prefer butter smooth gearing held in place with modern bearings instead of old bushings.
I do have one old reel that I'm quite fond of. It's a Daiwa PMF 10 that my Dad got me for a birthday present in 1982. I no longer use the reel as it's quality is vastly inferior to modern reels, but it sits proudly in a display case in the fishing room.

Cheap Hooker

OK, knock yourself out with new reels then, Im staying old school and my reel guy has no issues keeping them clean and serviced

Brocksdad1

I'm still not seeing any supportive evidence to lead me to believe that the older reels are better. On top of that you guys are paying to have them serviced. That's just more cost. When the newer reels are much more serviceable by the owner.

Fact is that the opening comments don't hold water.

Cheap Hooker

your right about the opening commentator, was just looking to shake it up, I should know Im a great one for that at times
  Pro reel once suggested that frequently used reels should be serviced somewhat annually and Kevin never gave me bad advice
  I am not mechanical and was raised with the idea everyone needs to eat so I get them serviced by a guy a trust, no big deal . I am concerned about original cost, but upkeep is just that upkeep. If I wasn't going to fish for those strped bass in the River I would stay pat but those c 3's are my favorite for  Atlantic Stripers and I stay with what I like

CommandoDude247

Modern reels have cheaper components that cost the end user more. No way around that.

The Calcutta indeed has a plastic set plate, but it is all tied together much tighter than what is found in the junk today.

Don't know what coffee grinder effect you speak of as mine are buttery smooth, yes even the mighty Calcutta with just 3 bearings.

All of you in praise of the plastic overpriced toys, by all means continue to overspend on them.

Mike Bush

Feels like I'm on BBC. IBTL????

I suppose if you like using old stuff, go right ahead. I guess you drive a car from the 60's and you don't have a cell phone or computer either. Everything today is "overpriced" using your philosophy.....and it also sucks. Man...I really hate accessing the internet via this 300$ plastic phone. Probably only cost 15$ to make it....what junk.

Cheap Hooker

t's not my business what another man pays for his gear, he earned it. I have an issue that the high end  does drag the middle prices higher, but this is about fishing equipment not breathing machines, geeze

BassMan83

Commandodude247,
    Sounds like a business opportunity. Time to create an all metal made in USA reel filled with quality components for a reasonable price. Can't be to difficult.

Brocksdad1

Quote from: BassMan83 on August 13, 2014, 06:16:40 AM
Commandodude247,
    Sounds like a business opportunity. Time to create an all metal made in USA reel filled with quality components for a reasonable price. Can't be to difficult.
Bwahahaha

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'll buy 5.
Oh wait mine already hold up great.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: BassMan83 on August 13, 2014, 06:16:40 AM
Commandodude247,

You mean like Ardent? ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

wettinline

lo

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
Born and raised in the murky waters of Lake Quinsigamond.

CommandoDude247

Quote from: Brocksdad1 on August 12, 2014, 07:30:37 PM
I'm still not seeing any supportive evidence to lead me to believe that the older reels are better. On top of that you guys are paying to have them serviced. That's just more cost. When the newer reels are much more serviceable by the owner.

Fact is that the opening comments don't hold water.

You just assume most pay to have reels serviced. Guess there may be more mechanically challenged morons in this world after all, lmao. 

Newer reels = parts replacement due to inferior materials/premature wear.

Brocksdad1

Where is your supporting evidence?