Ultimate 12 Month Bass Guide

Started by Maxtcobb, May 23, 2019, 07:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxtcobb

Hi guys! I am new to this forum, excited to post my first topic.

I have a basic understanding of lures, presentations, and what time of year they work best. But I want to take it to the next level. Can anyone give me their best attempt at a year-long guide (month by month would be great) starting with the Southeastern region. Where fish will be feeding (at what depths, locations, etc.) how they act (are they schooling, sitting on bottom, suspended?) and of course, what baits they are biting at those times/places (are they reaction striking, chasing, or finesse)?

I know this is a really huge ask but maybe somebody more experienced will find it fun to provide a 12 month analysis to this rookie. I will give my best inputs as well what I have learned fishing in South Carolina.

I like to start with the Southeast, but will need to know about other regions around the USA as well.... all are welcome to comment!

Max

Stren_g

There are some generalities, but there are so many variable that it may be better to ask about a specific situation. For example, asking the what/where/hows when fishing late spring in the midwest for me....it's not so easy. As this year we have more water than we've had in a long time so comparing this year to last year will not be the same. The bass are up further, spread out more... some are spawning. What part of the southeast are you in? We have a lot of members down south that may be able to give a tip or two.

edit: I'll also add, you will read/hear this a lot here. You need more "time on the water". You'll learn a lot by doing and watching. Pay attention to everything.

Lee Smith

Brother, time on the water will answer all of that and more!  But, there are a few basics that I believe to be true all over...

Winter fish are deep, but as soon as the water starts to even show it's going to warm a little, the fish start moving up, following the bait, all the way up to very shallow for the pre spawn and the spawn, then slowly work their way back down for the hot part of the year. Then repeat for the fall feed.

The major exception to this is during the summer you will find fish in the coolest water that is oxygenated well, grass, shade, and so on.  In the deeper lakes you have to worry about the thermocline during the very hot months, and the turn over.

But again, time on the water,,,,it's the best teacher out there!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

We have a ton of article written by everyday anglers that share their secrets and techniques. If you go to the main page and click on

www.ultimatebass.com

Bass Fishing Articles

or

Tips and Techniques

they are both drop down menus and there is a ton of information to pick through.

Tips and Techniques breaks articles out into seasonal patterns and different style baits. A tremendous recourse.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service