Loop knots, who ties them?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 14, 2022, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Loop knots. I was about to discard my leader from today's outing, and I had a hair jig tied on with a loop knot. I thought about it and maybe the way I tie the loop knot may help some of you. 

The loop knot is one of the easiest knots to tie. First start with an over hand knot.

Take the tag end and go through the line tie of your lure and place that over hand knot right next to that line tie. In this example it's the line tie of a jerkbait.

Take the tag end and wrap it  two or three times up along the main line away from the lure.

Once completed, take the tag end and place it through the middle of that overhand knot.

Lubricate with spit, and proceed to pull the tag end towards the lure while also pulling on the main line away from the lure, slowly until the loop is cinched. Cut the tag end and your ready to fish. 

Things to take under consideration when tying this knot. Small over hand knot, small loop. Big over hand knot, big loop. Big loops are not advisable. Smaller loops are encouraged.
Only 2 to 3 wraps are needed. The knot will hold perfectly with those numbers of wraps.
Lastly after a few fish monitor that loop. Make sure the line and/or loop does not have any  knicks or abrasions.

Hopefully I illustrated this knot well for you guys and helps someone.

big g

Have used this knot on top water and jerkbaits many years ago.  Allows for free movement of the bait.  Never had problems with them, and better then putting an O ring on the bait.  Have not tried the knot using braid, works great with mono.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Oldfart9999

Good thread, pictures help to explain it, you forgot to spit all over it  lubricate the knot. Good Job Lou.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 15, 2022, 06:02:17 AM
Good thread, pictures help to explain it, you forgot to spit all over it  lubricate the knot. Good Job Lou.
Rodney
Great point Rodney. Thank you!

I fixed it.

FlatsNBay

That's exactly how I tie it! I always tie a loop knot for saltwater DOA shrimp. I've never had it fail.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

apenland01

Excellent tutorial!!  Love the close up pics at each stage.  Agreed, easy knot to tie and I don't use it often enough....

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: apenland01 on November 15, 2022, 09:53:09 AM
Excellent tutorial!!  Love the close up pics at each stage.  Agreed, easy knot to tie and I don't use it often enough....

Thank you! Had to get creative with my smart phone, and activate the verbal camera commands.  :-* :-*

Mike Cork

Great photo tutorial  ~c~ My partner uses this knot anytime he fishes a crankbait or topwater.

I don't use it. I have fished with snaps all my life and never found the need to tie this knot myself. There are a few poppers that I've run across that attaching the snap can be a pain in the butt. Some say the snap weighs the nose of the bait down but I've never personally seen an issue.

I'd like to double down on Lou's note about checking the line often. My partner has lost a few baits to line issues. However anytime we are using mono or fluoro we should be checking often.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service