Pouring question...

Started by No Excuses, April 22, 2019, 07:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Excuses

I made a 2 piece plaster of paris mold. Finally figured out how to get rid of the hollow spots by pouring extremely slow and by topping it off as it cools. My problem I am having is my worms are coming out looking all dull compared to my silicone open pour molds. I remember reading somewhere about sealing the molds. Is this what is causing it and what do I need to seal them with if it is?

These two were poured out of the same cup. Silicone on left POP on right.

SteelHorseCowboy

Sealing the POP mold should help. POP is very porous and you're most likely getting a mirror image of it's porous surface.

Disclaimer: I've never poured my own soft plastics, but I've experimented with casting metals. Finely machined bullet molds make a much nicer finished product than a sand and clay ingot mold for that same reason. And POP is very much like hardened clay.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

DocIrv

Spray paint it with high gloss black engine paint
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret

No Excuses

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure I had read that somewhere, but as a newb doing this, much of it has turned into sensory overload!!

jonboy

My dad and I have made many Plaster molds and pored thousands of worms and jig trailers. We always sealed our molds with a thin coat of wood glue. We would paint it on with a small paint brush to work it into the small cracks and edges, worked great.
The only thing more depressing than not catching fish is not being able to go

jonboy

The only thing more depressing than not catching fish is not being able to go

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.