Rod repair

Started by geneinnc, September 06, 2018, 12:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneinnc

Anyone that could do a small rod repair near Hickory, NC? Eyelet liner broke and the bare metal is fraying my line on one of my Abu Garcia 7' baitcaster rods. Shipping isnt viable, $20 each way.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

I assume this is not the top eye?

something to consider is repairing yourself. Check out Git Bit outdoors, they have everything you need to get going. The first one might not be cost effective but from there out you'll be saving money and even making money if you start repairing your friends' stuff too.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteelHorseCowboy

Yeah, the tips are easy, any redneck with a mild heat source and some glue can do it. The other guides ain't hard either, but Mike's right, won't be very cost effective to get the material for just one guide.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pferox

Start Cheap and work your way up.  You can do one guide with some sewing thread and clear nail polish, for tools, you can use a spoon for leveling the threads, and a paper clip for poking and aligning stuff. For making the knots, a loop of sewing thread will work just fine.  Replacement guides are available in sets at most big box stores, or if you have a busted up rod, you can cannibalize from that one.

For wrapping, just put the butt on the floor and angle it so you can get at where you can wrap the guide in question, then just twist the rod.  You don't actually need a wrapper for repairs, and a simple one can be made quite quickly. 

I actually have a video on that subject, in case you are interested. 

The first few may not be pretty, but as you get some experience through practice, and start adding real tools, they will become professional quality.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Polaris425

I agree with all the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.