Neko weights, why?

Started by Oldfart9999, August 22, 2021, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

Back in the day, before tungsten Neko weights there was roofing nails, finish nails, coat hangers to cut up and heavy duty dykes to cut them. A box of roofing nails will last you all year or longer and costs what, 5$. #3 common finish nails were the first weight for wacky worming, stuff 1 in the nose and that bait is nose first to the bottom. So go ahead, spend all that money on tungsten or lead weights, or you could save a bit and spend it on baits to use those nails with. Fool the monkey, get more for your money.
Rodney
PS, about those coat hangers, you can cut a whole lot of different size weights from coat hanger, that's one of the reason you have those dykes.
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

Good tip

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

I remember those days. Great tip Rodney!

You can also use the shaft from a rivet after the gun spits it out.

Buying the modern weights generally has 2 marginal advantages for me. One,  I know the different weights so I can control the fall rate without a lot of guess work and two, the stair-step design seems to grip the plastic better. If you leave a small portion sticking out to make a tapping sound on hard surfaces it seems to stay put better than a round roofing nail or the like.

Of course on the downside that stair-step design tears your plastics up a lot faster too so that's a trade-off.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

jwkelley51

I've got some weights but never used one. I still use the dry wall screws. They're not coming out...the bait will fall apart first.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: jwkelley51 on August 23, 2021, 01:39:13 PM
I've got some weights but never used one. I still use the dry wall screws. They're not coming out...the bait will fall apart first.
Definitely. Most anything with a thread on it will stay put!

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

"Fool the monkey, get more for your money"

Great line!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk