Good alternative skirt material?

Started by Johntom2k, March 30, 2022, 07:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johntom2k

Anything I can get at hobby lobby or Walmart in the craft section I can make skirts out of? I been looking at prices and they are out the roof. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

D.W. Verts

If you've have the time and a real sharp knife (and like BLACK) old innertubes make great skirts. Other than that...?

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bassjiggin1955

Google  Rubber bands bulk pick a size if a natural color get color dye and go from there if you can't afford silicone skirting material or round rubber material.
For skirting material
Skirtplus
Living rubber
Barlows
Janns
Skirts unlimited
Lure parts on line
I use skirts plus for all my silicone in bulk.
I use Living rubber for all my round rubber in bulk.

Building and fishing jigs since 1977

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bassjiggin1955 on May 11, 2022, 01:42:22 AM
Google  Rubber bands bulk pick a size if a natural color get color dye and go from there if you can't afford silicone skirting material or round rubber material.
For skirting material
Skirtplus
Living rubber
Barlows
Janns
Skirts unlimited
Lure parts on line
I use skirts plus for all my silicone in bulk.
I use Living rubber for all my round rubber in bulk.
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking to replenish my dwindling supply and I see a few names here I haven't heard before. I will definitely give them a look.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SenkoSam

https://www.livingrubber.com/collections/silicone-skirting-materials
Color selection is great as is their service. I prefer silicone because of the incredible color combinations, bands of color, solid colors, glitter in the material and flair action as good as living rubber.

Deer hair and my border collie's hair do well tied to small ball head jigs.

bigjim5589

I use a variety of materials for jigs, and yes, things are getting costly. I've always tied a lot hair & feather jigs, but also make jigs with silicone & rubber skirts. I get those materials where I can find them, and I'm buying the skirt tabs by the 100.

All of the silicone or rubber skirt materials now, in the entire world, are being manufactured either in China, or Vietnam, so that's created a supply issue.

You can find some material in cheap bungee cords, ( Harbor Freight type stuff)  but the colors are generally going to be limited to either black or white, and of course you have to cut them apart. It's the same material as Living Rubber.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.