cherrywood berkley rods any good?

Started by basswackerpro16, May 12, 2010, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basswackerpro16

cherrywood berkley rods any good? I have seen pros on tv using them and I am wanting one for a spinning outfit for whitebass and largemouth Florida strain.Thanks in advance. ~fff

docav

i have personally never used one. i always tell everyone to buy the best they can afford. if that means a $10 rod or a $500 rod buy the best you can get. it is easier to buy the best you can than in a couple months not be happy and have to buy more. doug

basswackerpro16

Thank You and so true.Its worth spending more now then having to spend more later  ~fff.

wvbassangler

I don't like them the line gets wraped around the top of your rod I'v used them for a couple of years for drop shotting
Charleston, West Virginia

DaveP63

I've got two, one older 6' (10-15 years) and one newer one 6.6'.  Love the old one, the new one is just OK. I use it for small spinnerbaits and jerkbaits.
Join Bass Unlimited !

buckstop

The cherrywoods are an alright pole, there is alot better rods, but also alot worse.
I have only used a medium, and ultra light action. Don't know how there heavier poles are. But if it is from berkley there is a lifetime warranty on them.
Fish Biting? Bite em Back!

24/7bassin

I have broke everyone I have ever bought on fighting fish...I would spend the few bucks more and get a Ugly Stick Lite.

islandbass

They are decent for its price.  I would take it over an ugly stick any day of the week.  I have a 7' that my dad likes to use when he visits and my daughter likes to use it too.

Not that ugly sticks are bad, but given the choice, I would choose the cherrywood.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

DaveP63

Be aware, the medium action on the new ones is VERY soft. I'd go MH if it were me. My newer one is getting replaced with an Amp soon.
Join Bass Unlimited !

luv2bass

I would go with the Amp. I am a Berkley rod fan. The Amp is great and if you spend a little more, go with the Series One. It is around $100, can get on e-bay a little cheaper but it is very sensitive and strong. The amp runs a close second.

kipper

i dont like this rod. it will give up when you need it the most.

1shakyhead

i broke a 7' but i also have a 6'6" that is still going strong, but you get what you pay for.

ts06585

I have one 6.5 Medium Heavy.  Caught a few fish in the 3-4 lbs range without problems.  Not my first choice, but money was tight and it has done OK for me so far. 
2010 PT 175 TWX, 90 HP Optimax
Married 29 years
4 kids and 17 (so far) Foster kids
Retirement less than 2 years away!!!

rawthumb

i have heard mixed reviews on them. some seem to beak easily for some reason. i have one for a backup and sometime throw a spinnerbait with it. not bad for the price at all.

GermanKnight

sorry to resurect, but if i were you, i would get a bass pro shops Graphite Series. I got one a WHILE ago, it looks brand new still, and has brought in fighting 7 and 8lbers like no ones business. i got the medium and am VERY happy for only spending 30.00 on it.

It is the best 30.00 rod. i have a few high end rods ranging from shimano-st.croix... i dont want to use those rods unless i am tournament fishing just to keep them in tip top shape, so i use this rod as my go to rod, and it is SO SO SO sensative. you will not regret the choice.
Denali custom rods.

Dan1962

Quote from: luv2bass on June 01, 2010, 12:01:49 PM
I would go with the Amp. I am a Berkley rod fan. The Amp is great and if you spend a little more, go with the Series One. It is around $100, can get on e-bay a little cheaper but it is very sensitive and strong. The amp runs a close second.

For $100 I buy a ST Croix Rod  any day Over  A Berkley

GermanKnight

I second that, i like st.croix but not as much as i like shimano, or cast away.

St. Croix does make good rods tho regardless. and you cant go wrong with them.

A new favorite is Powell, flawless design. Just need to get the cash to buy one.

Birthday is coming up, and i can wait being i just spent money on a new shimano for a tournament.

Ill hopefully be getting either a new shimano, and keep with the same line i have always been with, or go with Cast Away. ill end up saving up and paying the difference being it will be more like 150.00. -200.00 

I dont really care for St. Croix rods myself, there great rods tho, just not my cup of tea.
Denali custom rods.