What species?

Started by hondo2doc, March 25, 2023, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hondo2doc

Well I caught this today in my little back yard lake and have absolutely no idea what it is. Really sorry the pictures weren't better. I was trying to show it's teeth. It had like 4 teeth on top and not sure how many on the bottom. I ain't never seen any fish like this in south Florida waters before.

But I'm sure some of you more experienced guys will know what this is.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BassmanRudy

I think its a mayan chiclid (invasive species) but Lou or FD will know for sure.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

FD

Pretty sure that's a Jaguar Guapote.  We don't have them this far north (Orlando-Tampa) but I caught a few on my last trip to S Florida.   Another invasive fish tank species.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Capt. BassinLou

WTG FD!!  ~c~  He his correct. That's a Jaguar!

BassmanRudy

I wish Florida would take its invasive species Problem seriously enough to let them get fished/hunted to extinction! Catching pythons in a round up instead of killing em and letting em lie for ex.

Maybe some restitution for True Florida residents for all the invasives they've had to deal with?!?!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

hondo2doc

Wow you guys are very impressive. I've never seen one before. The pictures don't show it but it's a toothy little fishy.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 26, 2023, 06:54:19 AM
I wish Florida would take its invasive species Problem seriously enough to let them get fished/hunted to extinction! Catching pythons in a round up instead of killing em and letting em lie for ex.

Maybe some restitution for True Florida residents for all the invasives they've had to deal with?!?!

FWIW the invasive species issue is taken very seriously. Maybe not by the local and federal government, but from the private sector, business and tourism are booming in attempts to eradicate all our invasive species.

I will just list a few examples:

Iguanas: There are now contract companies and guide services in which their sole purpose is to hunt and eradicate iguanas. Look up iguana hunts. $$

Oscars and other invasive fish: People come from all over the South East this time of year, to catch 5 gallon loads of oscars and other invasive fish. There are zero bag limits. $$
  -   :-* Side note: Peacocks are not invasive, they were introduced in the 80's to help combat invasive fish.

Pythons: Big Issue that we are losing unfortunately, but python hunts are very popular here. $$

I know its sad that my list can go on and on in regards to all the invasive wildlife that call Florida home. But, many jobs and opportunities in the private sector have been created because of this situation.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: hondo2doc on March 26, 2023, 07:02:45 AM
Wow you guys are very impressive. I've never seen one before. The pictures don't show it but it's a toothy little fishy.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Jags are very common, and they can get pretty big. State record I believe is 18" long, I could be wrong. But nonetheless, jags are out there, especially in canals. Just be careful handling them, because as you witnessed they do have a few sharp teeth.

Capt. BassinLou

They are pretty, hence their name.

J.W.

Crazy looking fish. Are they good to eat or are they pretty much a trash fish?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on March 26, 2023, 09:50:26 AM
Crazy looking fish. Are they good to eat or are they pretty much a trash fish?
From what I hear they taste good. Flaky white meat. I personally do not eat our freshwater fish.