Hot Start

Started by CraigP83, June 08, 2021, 07:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

I fished a small club derby the other day and had almost my whole limit in the first 18 minutes. I've never experienced anything like that before, how about you guys? Pic of my scale from that day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Ain't nothing better... I've done it a couple times. Have a limit that is, only an 18 pound limit once.

I fished an American Bass Tournament and prefished finding one small group of fish under a mat of hyacinths. I honestly felt if I could catch two first thing, I might be able to rotate back to them each hour or so and catch another as it refilled.

I'll never forget it, it literally took 8 punches to catch five bass that went 18 pounds. Then I had to worry about keeping them alive the rest of the day  8) I managed to cull to over twenty pounds but the eighteen would have won the event...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

CraigP83

Similar deal here, found some fish gathering around an off shore isolated weed bed. Thought I might be able to get 2 or 3 before it dried up.

Smallie_Stalker

Only one time ever. Fishing a 2-day club tourney on Winnipesaukee in 2000 as a co-angler. My boater said he knew where the fish were gonna be and he was usually right so I was hopeful.

Day one turned out to be a bust because of an unexpected issue with the outboard. Repair was done same day at the marina just down the road from where we were staying.

Day 2  the first stop was a boat house with docks/walkways on both sides. We launched at 7:00 AM and ran 15 minutes to get there. By 7:35 we both had a limit. Not huge fish but over 12 lbs. for each of us.

We called some through the morning as we moved around in the morning. At 1:00 PM with 2 hours left my buddy said he had one more place he wanted to go called Senter Cove. Right at the mouth of the cove was a hump with a mix of grass and sand and the smallies were stacked up on it. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot at it but in about a half hour my boater culled out everything he had and caught 5 smalles that went 22 lbs. and change and he won the 2-day by almost half  a pound even though we didn't fish day 1.

Never seen anything like it before that day or ever since.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

CraigP83

That's incredible. Before last weekend my best start was a Wednesday night tournament with my dad, I pulled up to a weededge and had all our best 5 in 45 minutes. We won that tournament with 12#.

zippyduck

Mine came in the last 1/2 hour. I pulled up to a point and the first three casts caught fish then skipped one and caught two more on the next two casts. I ended up catching 3 more before the school moved off. Gotta love smallies.

During practice for a friend we got into a large school on the river and caught way too many but they were biting topwaters.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"