Dirty Thirty…. Almost….

Started by No Excuses, June 11, 2023, 10:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Excuses

As y'all all know, I love my little lake. It was renovated beginning in 2012. Drained, leaking water control structure repaired, over 100 fish habitat structures added, boat lanes improved, restocked, the whole 9 yards. We've already been thru 4 phases of slot limits and are now at "one over 20" as far as what can be kept. Now, granted I don't get that, because I can only keep one over 20", but I can keep 9 that are 19 15/16".... But, I'm no biologist and they say that's best.

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is our statewide governing agency. I received a phone call a couple weeks ago from the deputy director of the AGFC. He told me our local biologist had given him my name and number and had tagged me as "one of the more successful guys on White Oak". That tag would become a pretty heavy weight around my neck. He told me they have a big lake renovation coming up like we had, in the central part of the state. He asked me if I would be willing to do an interview with the AGFC, and talk about what a hassle it was to have your Lake closed for a couple years, but also talk about how the lake is now compared to before. I graciously accepted the opportunity to help out.

I was contacted early last week by Mr. Trey Reid, Asst Chief of Communications for the AGFC. I've known who Trey was for many years. Former sports editor of the state newspaper, ESPN journalist covering BASS and other fishing events, and I hear him on the radio and podcasts all the time. I felt a little starstruck to be honest. He outlined what he'd like to discuss, said it wouldn't take long, maybe 15 min. He asked if I could meet him at the lake. Here's where I almost let me alligator mouth overload my Jay bird butt as my uncle used to say. I said, "if we are going to meet at the lake, we might as well go fishing and let the lake show you how good it is!" A plan was made to meet at 7am Friday morning, and the pressure began to build.....

My boat is over 20 years old, needs carpet, still runs great and cleans up pretty good on the outside, but it's a tool. Just an old fishing boat. I scrubbed and waxed on it for 3hrs Wednesday evening. Fished the Thursday Nighter with my BIL and used HIS boat because we were fishing the nasty river lol.

I got there early Friday morning, wiped everything down, got the rods out, retied a few, and was trying to get myself psyched up. I stopped and said a prayer.... Lord, I know praying to catch fish is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, but please let me show these guys a good time today...."
The crew showed up, launched the camera boat, shot some drone footage of us running down the lake and back. Trey is a super jive guy and just a regular dude that gets to do some super cool stuff. We hit the first spot, a community hole that gets hammered. Nothing.... Dang... Alright let's move... Someone is on the next spot I was headed to..... Dang.... Go to the spot rod caught the long skinny 4-13 and I caught the C-Rig fish on The Truth. (That's for the folks who may watch my videos lol). There is a stump there that I usually drop the rope around because I don't have spot lock. But, I like to fish around that stump as I approach it. I pointed it out to Trey and explained we'd make a few casts to it before we tied up. He promptly sets the hook hard on his second casts. A few seconds of chaos later I bet the first fish of the day for him. 6lbs even! Whew.... That took a little pressure off. The camera boat unknowingly got over one of the brushpiles and then out over the top of the hump so I opted to untie and just circle the hump and go to the next spot. We did the interview while the early sunlight was good. They said I was a natural. I shared that 3 years ago when I started shooting my own videos I was a nervous as I could be in front of a camera! But, I've always had the gift of gab. We moved 200 yards back up the lake and my 2D sonar was blown up with balls of shad. I got the boat positioned and kicked out a bouy. About the 3rd cast brought in a 5lb even. 11lbs 2 fish. Nice. Couple casts later I catch a 4lb-15oz. This is getting crazy. He catches a 5lb-8oz. I say let's go somewhere else. He's like "they are still biting!!" I told him, "I have to fish here next week too!" The next stop nets another 5 and a couple 3's. Head across the lake to a spot and promptly catch another 4 something and a 5lb 15oz! It's nearing 11 o'clock and they said let's get one more and film and we will wrap it up. Almost immediately I feel the mush and lay into one. It runs out of the brush and straight at the boat. When it finally decides to turn, it goes to the top and puts on a show. 7+ tank!! Trey scrambles for the net, it's laying on its side momentarily at near the side of the boat and he can't get to handle to extend. Fish gets its second wind and runs under the boat and around a stump we were nosed up on.... The rest is history. As I sat there fighting the urge to puke or choke him, he mumbled out.... "Every good fish story needs the one that got away....."

We wound up with north of 27lbs with our best 5, and that last one would have had us right at 30. Awesome day and so blessed to be able to represent my pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

Mark, glad the day turned out the way it did for ya.  Congrats on a great outing and tks for sharing the trip with us......Where's the video  ~shade   
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

No Excuses

Thanks Donald! They got all the video lol.... As it surfaces I'll share some links!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Dang! That was an awesome outing! Thank you for sharing, Mark.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Thanks for sharing with us Mark and will be looking for your next adventure.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet