I Used to Tear Them Up

Started by FlatsNBay, July 01, 2023, 07:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

When I was a kid and even a young adult, one of my favorite baits and techniques  was to cast a Rapala 11G floating minnow. Let the rings settle then twitch, let the rings settle, twitch. Kaboom! I would get explosive hits! I've probably caught over a thousand bass over the years this way.

For whatever reason, I haven't used this technique in many years. I'm going to resurrect my old Rapalas and try them again when I go pond hopping. I bet it still works just as good.

Who's with me? Do you have an old bait or technique that you don't use anymore?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

All of them... I've done that with the Rapala in the last year. Still works. Of course.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bigjim5589

I rarely will fish a Jitterbug or Hula Popper now, but they will still produce some fish. I still have a few Sputterbugs too that I haven't used in many years.

The Rebel Minnows had been mentioned in the post about jerkbaits and they & other older lures like the Cordell Redfin have been some I continued to use over the years because we chased Striped Bass with them. It's been a good while since I had caught a bass on any of them.

I'll have to give the old Arbogast lures a try again!  They're always fun to use even if I don't catch anything on them.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

big g

Did it for many years.  I was a Rapala, Devil Horse guy before I got hung on plastics.  Nothing like that top water explosion.  I bet they still work as well as ever.  Just don't overwork them.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

I used to fish Rapala's for years. Threw the F7 a lot!! The Oscar and mayan cichlids populations exploded and stopped throwing them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

I still use the floating Rapalas regularly on the little ponds I fish. The jointed Cordell Redfins too but for those it's mostly as a slowly and steady retrieved wake bait.

To answer the second part of your question there are a couple of things I don't throw anymore and I'm not sure why. The two biggest ones are prop baits and the old reaper style plastics. I need to add both of these back to my lure rotation!

Great topic!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

I used many of the old lures at LOZ. My favorite was the Lazy Ike. A 1960's lure still caught bass as of 2010.

Wizard

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Wizard on July 04, 2023, 08:17:06 AMI used many of the old lures at LOZ. My favorite was the Lazy Ike. A 1960's lure still caught bass as of 2010.

Wizard
Over the years I've talked with some younger anglers who had never seen a  Lazy Ike or a Helin Flatfish. A couple said they don't look like a bass lure but couldn't tell me what they meant by that or what fish they would throw it for, although one did say he would maybe use it as a trolling lure for walleye.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

I have a few very old rapalas.  Just letting them float and twitching them sometimes seems like the only option.  Even as a kid I noted the didn't swim very consistently.  Some would veer right, others left.