New Curado K

Started by LgMouthGambler, June 26, 2017, 01:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Quote from: rickdelprado on June 28, 2017, 09:17:33 AM
It's about damn time. They had to compete with Daiwa and their standard 90 mm handles on even their cheaper reels.

90 is a good size. The Shimano smaller handles really bug me. I hate having to pay that much for a reel then have to go upgrade the handle with an extra 70-80 bucks.

I don't care for the longer handles my self. Puts the thumb holds to far away from center. Now I would love a larger drag star :-*

Glad they kept the price as well  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cojab

Quote from: cojab on June 28, 2017, 11:00:33 AM
LH retrieve available in all the ratios?

I like that it went on a diet. The older models were a little chunky feeling for me.

I saw that the Curado is available for preorder on TW so I checked. It's available in LH for all ratios.
BTW, it also shows they should be available July 18.
TTK has spoken.

j102

Looks like a sweet reel. And the price is right.

rockchalk06

Quote from: cojab on June 28, 2017, 11:49:02 PM
I saw that the Curado is available for preorder on TW so I checked. It's available in LH for all ratios.
BTW, it also shows they should be available July 18.

Pre-order on Tackle Trap too. Saved 10% too. Pre-ordered an XG a few minutes ago

cojab

Quote from: rockchalk06 on June 29, 2017, 09:31:44 AM
Pre-order on Tackle Trap too. Saved 10% too. Pre-ordered an XG a few minutes ago

Hey Rock, Is that XG just reffering to the gearing?
TTK has spoken.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cojab on June 29, 2017, 10:42:44 AM

Speed. XG is the 8 gear

H=6.2
HG=7.4
XG=8.5
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

20X PG - Power gear 5:1
20X - Standard 6:1
20X HG - High gear 7:1
20X XG - Xtra high gear 8:1

ALL Shimano reel's follow this pattern.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

rockchalk06

Hey Rock, Is that XG just referring to the gearing?

Yes sir! Unfortunately they are not (yet) releasing a PG 5 gear, just the 3 that Matt listed.

cojab

Uuurgh!!!

All these letters and numbers to learn. ~b~ ~b~
TTK has spoken.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cojab on June 29, 2017, 02:30:46 PM
Uuurgh!!!

Stay away from Daiwa then.  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cojab

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 29, 2017, 02:35:56 PM
Stay away from Daiwa then.  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

Yeah, I've been noticing that!
TTK has spoken.

Down4ttown

Curado has my curious. Daiwa guy but I can rock a Shimano if the price is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Quote from: cojab on June 29, 2017, 02:30:46 PM
Uuurgh!!!

Just look at the side plate the put the gear ratio on it... much easier for this old guy...

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 30, 2017, 08:04:31 AM
Wuts wrong youngin?

THE DANG WORM SHAFT IS PLASTIC!!!!!!!! WHAT THE  ~xyz !!!!!  ~rant Stupid Shimano!!!!  ~rant

Mike Cork

I new it was coming  ~roflmao

No faith that they actually tested it  lo

I promise LMG it will be okay... did you really think the put it in the 70 to never be seen again?

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

It was wishful thinking on my part. Palm to forehead.  lo

rockchalk06

Taken from Shimano's Instagram page:

Looks like a new rod too.

j102

When it comes to Spinning reels I buy Penn for that same reason. Too many plastic parts in the Shimano reels.
Unless you buy the super expensive models....

Capt. BassinLou

I understand Shimano has made a move to swap out parts that were once made out of metal into plastic. My opinion and question is the following: We don't know how long the new plastic pieces will actually last for yet because the change is new.  If someone stays on top of their yearly reel maintenance won't that prolong the life of the pieces? If not, can't those pieces just be replaced?

cortman

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 01, 2017, 10:35:50 AM
I understand Shimano has made a move to swap out parts that were once made out of metal into plastic. My opinion and question is the following: We don't know how long the new plastic pieces will actually last for yet because the change is new.  If someone stays on top of their yearly reel maintenance won't that prolong the life of the pieces? If not, can't those pieces just be replaced?

Agreed. I don't want to be rude to anyone but so far this appears to be a tempest in a teapot. I'm no more a fan of plastic than the next person, but since it's not a very visible part and therefore doesn't affect the cosmetics of the reel, I'm willing to suspend judgment until its functional quality is better known.

LgMouthGambler

My issues is the part itself. Which, being held in with a c clip. The part wearing where the c clip has to be removed and reinstalled for maintenance. Also, given if the part needs to be replaced, and how long the part will be available for purchase? Reel companies seem to be changing models quick, and discontinuing parts just as fast.

<")))>{

j102

One thing I just thought about. We call it "plastic" parts. Could it be made of a polymer or something like it is used in handguns?

LgMouthGambler

Even if, in a gun that's made with a polymer frame, contact points with metal have metal molded into the polymer. Moving parts in a gun aren't plastic.

<")))>{