relearning old truths

Started by coldfront, September 18, 2023, 08:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

last saturday, having not been out on the water for a few weeks, I took the opportunity.  Overcast day with intermittent light rain showers - this was going to keep the 'pleasure boaters' to a minimum on a college football weekend!  plus TVA was gonna run current at about 28K cfs... 

made it to the gym early to work with a friend but that left the rest of the day.

out on the water about 2PM.  thought briefly before taking the boat to the ramp that I needed to gas up.  didn't.
I really need to listen to my inner voices...

anyway, ran down the lake and notices my gas guage was reading a little low.  didn't worry too much, just got to fishing. 

chatterbait didn't get any interest (that's nothing new for me) so switched to the berkley hit worm and started getting hits.  Nothing big, just FUN.  in the 2, 2.5 pound class.  on flats with weed clumps just a few feet from the ledge.

after a bit, decided to run back upriver, hit some spots on the way in.

was about halfway back when the outboard began to 'shake' a bit.  yep, low on fuel.  shut her down and call USBoats tow service.  set up a 'gas delivery' with those folks.  10 gallons at $5/gallon was not an issue.

had i needed an actual tow, it would have taken a few hours.

and of course?  for about $60/$70 a year for the insurance, it keeps me from having to pay for a tow that STARTS at about $650...

meanwhile, while waiting on the river, might as well fish, right?

pulled out the spinning rod and started tossing a berkley D-worm around.  green pumpkin.  texas rigged.  because I needed to stay close to a boat ramp, and only had the trolling motor, I slowed way way down and really saturated spots and TOOK time with my retrieves.

the results were 'better' than average.  couple of pics

2.5 pounds

and the best of the night, just as the truck with gas was pulling up... 4.5 pounds

good reminder that I need to SLOW THE HECK DOWN...  running around like a bass pro sure is fun and might look cool... but these fish have seen it all and have PhDs...

Mike Cork

$5 a gallon isn't bad when they got you cornered :surrender:

I constantly have to remind myself that bass have trouble catching baits above about 30 mph  ;)

congrats on catching, I'll take two pounders all day versus a no bite day ~c~  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bassmedic46

That's a lesson we all can learn from. Thank you for sharing.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

Wizard

I have the same insurance and used it twice for a tow. Both times on the cruiser. Once an electrical problem and the other a broken serpentine belt. Tows are expensive without insurance.

Wizard

Donald Garner

CF, congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the trip and those pictures with us also. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

A lot of days I'd be happy with those fish. 5$ a gallon on the water isn't bad. Have you ever noticed that the pros that running around like that don't do that well?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

skidemn

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 18, 2023, 11:35:28 AM$5 a gallon isn't bad when they got you cornered :surrender:

I constantly have to remind myself that bass have trouble catching baits above about 30 mph  ;)

congrats on catching, I'll take two pounders all day versus a no bite day ~c~  ~c~
$5 a gallon on the water is CHEAP! I'm here in California and this was the price I paid at the pump yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: skidemn on September 21, 2023, 06:54:25 PM
Quote from: Mike Cork on September 18, 2023, 11:35:28 AM$5 a gallon isn't bad when they got you cornered :surrender:

$5 a gallon on the water is CHEAP! I'm here in California and this was the price I paid at the pump yesterday.

someone once said:  elections have consequences.  

there's a price to be paid for ignorance and stupidity.

D.W. Verts

My gosh. Thankful to live in MO!

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

skidemn

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 22, 2023, 04:16:54 PMMy gosh. Thankful to live in MO!

Dale
At least my state is keeping us all safe by making it difficult to buy firearms legally. In fact, they've done a great job of raising taxes and lowering the value of everyone's money, so that if someone could somehow manage to beat the system and try to buy a gun, they will not have enough money to complete the transaction. Crime is finally on a downward trend because it's now legal to steal up to $950 worth of goods if you need them. We are all safer now because there's nothing left for them to steal...

FlatsNBay

Lemonade out of lemons, nice!

D.W. Verts

Hey ya'll, a thought- I've been out of the game for a long time, but my insurance (Geico) says that towing is included in my policy. Anyone really know?

Dale

caddyjoe77

Dale not sure of your specifics but i would definitely get a copy of your policy.  I also pay the 70 bucks a year for the same service as CF. 

BeerMe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 22, 2023, 10:20:56 PMHey ya'll, a thought- I've been out of the game for a long time, but my insurance (Geico) says that towing is included in my policy. Anyone really know?

Dale

Pretty common feature on boat insurance policies. But as Joe mentioned, look over your policy to be 100% sure or call your agent. My previous boat insurance had towing included.

D.W. Verts

Yep, need to. In all my years I've never needed a tow. Of course, since I don't own a cell phone...

Dale

coldfront

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on December 23, 2023, 03:42:38 AMPretty common feature on boat insurance policies. But as Joe mentioned, look over your policy to be 100% sure or call your agent. My previous boat insurance had towing included.

good point.  what I wonder is this:  time to 'help'.  US Towboat is around all the time.  Might have to check in on my current insurance carrier.

when it's cold, rainy and gettin dark, time matters.