New guy lookin for New Jig Rod.

Started by Fishohio, February 01, 2018, 03:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishohio

Smallie_Stalker said I might want to post this here also. :)

Hey guys

Well I'm lookin to get a dedicated Jig rod

This Rod will be throwing 1/4-1/2oz jigs and trailers with 16#-20# fluoro I throw 3/8oz 80% of the time.

Usually wont spend over 150.00 a  rod nowadays. But I have a gift card for 50$ at an outfitter (Cabelas) so could go 200.00 if they carry them.

Probably haven't bought a rod in 12yrs or so. My boys got me a Sierra 702 shaky head rod that I like a lot but a Jig rod is a completely different animal.

I fish with 1st Gen Kistler Helium and Argons right now.

I prefer a 7ft rod but might go to 7'3 if its a good stick. Fish out of a small aluminum most of the time.

Don't like the pool cue feel I like a little tip.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks Rick
You don't have to be crazy to love Bass Fishing, but it helps!!

bucketmouth 87

I bought a champion 744 last year.  I would suggest going that route for a jig rod.  I believe it was designed specifically as a jig rod if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zippyduck

If I was buying it specifically for jigs only one comes to mind and it is the Champion 744c but out of your budget.

A sierra 734 or 735 are excellent choices in your range. If fishing mostly grass get the 735, rocks and wood the 734.

The best of all is the champion hp 745 but way out of your budget.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

fishandkamp

I am a big Dobyns fan and The Champion would be my one of my first suggestions. However the Sierra is a bit slower blank and you may want a bit faster choice.

Go look at an Irod Genesis II IRG 744C. It is exactly what you are looking for.  The Irod products are well made, sensitive and light weight.  They also run $150, so they fit in your budget. If you do not have a dealer near you look at Tackle Warehouse  they carry them.

bernerbass99

I would go with the Champion 735 c it is the perfect jig and Texas rig rod ! I personally feel the champion 734 is more of a spinner bait rod or large Zara Spook rod. I love Dobyns rods and feel they are the best rods going and have the largest selection of bait casting and spinning rods of any company but the 734 c is my least favorite rod of all my Dobyns but the champion 735 c might be one of the best rods ever made but that is my opinion. The Champion 735 c has a light tip that I feel is lighter than the 734c but it shuts off real quick so you can cast real far , have awesome sensitivity and awesome back bone to set the hook. If you want to use the Champion 734c for jigs I would make sure you use braid that will make up the difference in action.

bhodge

Jigs are my passion. I have many Dobyn's rods and have fished many rods for jigs. So i want you to consider the following: Pay a little now or pay a little more later to get the real deal.

Three rods are the way to go, but are a bit higher priced.
In the Champion XP line, the 744 is very solid and almost the best money can buy. Probably in the 249.00 range new. Show ebay as well.

However if you want to never buy a jig rod again the Extreme 745 HP or 784 HP Extreme at 349.99 are without question phenomenal.

If this is not want you will spend i get it and the Irod is a great series as well.

I am a Dobyn's junkie and currently fish 17 of them, so I do have some experience with them.

Good luck in your search 

cojab

I also love my Champion 735c. I use it for jigs and frogs. When I have the coin I plan on getting the 744 for jigs and keep the 735 for frogs.
That Champion line is a little beyond what you want to spend though. Me too, but the rod is worth it so I save and try to wait and buy on a black friday deal.
I am slowly switching all my bottom contact rods to Champion series.
TTK has spoken.

bhodge

COJAB,

funny thing, I am currently switching my bottom rods to the extreme series, more specifically I am looking for the older DX models. Have found 6, 3 spinning and 3 Baitcasters.

My wife thinks I am nuts, and she may be correct. lo

cojab

Quote from: bhodge on February 03, 2018, 10:04:07 AM
COJAB,

funny thing, I am currently switching my bottom rods to the extreme series, more specifically I am looking for the older DX models. Have found 6, 3 spinning and 3 Baitcasters.

My wife thinks I am nuts, and she may be correct. lo

Hell, I'd love to switch them all to the Extreme series too. Doesn't get much better than that. However, I'm afraid my wife would say I'm nuts also,,,,,, and sleeping alone. lo lo
TTK has spoken.