Florida Fishbooking 2014

Started by LgMouthGambler, January 19, 2014, 05:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Get one with dual brakes (centrifugal and magnetic) to help with the learning curve. Something like a BPS Pro Qualifier is a perfect one for a great price. Best advice a Pro Qualifier in a 6 speed, and a MH F Carbonlite rod.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

LOL... I couldn't resist, so I took the gold shiner spinnerbait to the canal for a half hour. This time of day with this heat is a little challenging, but i wanted to see how the bait swam. It's really nice, and has tight compact profile. By surprise a peacock came out of no where and swiped at it, but it missed the hook. I will take the bluegill out for a swim later this evening.  ~shhh

MCS

Quote from: fishingator on May 02, 2014, 11:52:29 AM
Anyone have any advice on learning a baitcaster?  Once we get back from our "moon" I want to get going.

I learned not too long ago, been using it for about a year or so maybe longer. I prefer it now over spinning gear. Setup is the key and use your thumb. The spool tension adjustments are the biggest thing to dial it in. Start with cheap mono just in case, get braid when you are decent. Picking backlashes out with braid is waaay easier. Dont go too cheap on your first caster. IMO if I were you I would get a lews or tatula in the $150 range.(God forbid I say quantum  >:D , LMG   PoPo will lock this up and kick me out  lo). IMO when casting it is more about a smooth effortless motion, over a spinning rig, if you try to umph it out there you will overrun. Other then that the resident experst should have more sound advice. I just like putting my 2 cents worth in......Get a quantum energy PT VI off ebay  ~shhh great reel was 190 now since closed out under 100 nib.  8)

Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

MCS

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 02, 2014, 12:32:10 PM
Get one with dual brakes (centrifugal and magnetic) to help with the learning curve. Something like a BPS Pro Qualifier is a perfect one for a great price. Best advice a Pro Qualifier in a 6 speed, and a MH F Carbonlite rod.

Carbonlite is a great rod. I totally abused mine today with 30lb braid on a snag and it took it.
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

MCS

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 02, 2014, 12:33:36 PM
LOL... I couldn't resist, so I took the gold shiner spinnerbait to the canal for a half hour. This time of day with this heat is a little challenging, but i wanted to see how the bait swam. It's really nice, and has tight compact profile. By surprise a peacock came out of no where and swiped at it, but it missed the hook. I will take the bluegill out for a swim later this evening.  ~shhh

Hahaha gotta play with the toys right away. Such a kid.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MCS on May 02, 2014, 12:33:52 PM
I learned not too long ago, been using it for about a year or so maybe longer. I prefer it now over spinning gear. Setup is the key and use your thumb. The spool tension adjustments are the biggest thing to dial it in. Start with cheap mono just in case, get braid when you are decent. Picking backlashes out with braid is waaay easier. Dont go too cheap on your first caster. IMO if I were you I would get a lews or tatula in the $150 range.(God forbid I say quantum  >:D , LMG   PoPo will lock this up and kick me out  lo). IMO when casting it is more about a smooth effortless motion, over a spinning rig, if you try to umph it out there you will overrun. Other then that the resident experst should have more sound advice. I just like putting my 2 cents worth in......Get a quantum energy PT VI off ebay  ~shhh great reel was 190 now since closed out under 100 nib.  8)

I have my finger on the trigger PoPo

~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Yeah Gator listen to LMG on this one. I have never used a Pro qualifier, but from what I hear its a good reel. 6:4 ratio with 7ft MH/F rod like the Carbonlite and you are good to go. Be patient, and have lots, and lots and lots of practice. Did i say lots of practice..... LOL... Goodluck and enjoy. When you get it let us know and we will walk you through how to use it.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: MCS on May 02, 2014, 12:36:36 PM
Hahaha gotta play with the toys right away. Such a kid.

LOL... MCS... you know me man... I couldn't resist, i had the time to burn.....

LgMouthGambler

Lou, those things look good. Mike does one hell of a job with that stuff huh?! Hopefully you get a good monster on one of those bad boiys! ~gf

Capt. BassinLou

Yeah, those baits are very well made.

LgMouthGambler

Wait till you order some swim jigs! >:D

fishingator

Well, I already got one lol.  It was a Christmas present from DH soooo I will have to check and see what it is because I don't even remember hahaha oops.

fishingator

Quote from: MCS on May 02, 2014, 12:33:52 PM

Well I got it as a gift.  DH already spooled braid on it.  Do you think I should switch it out?

fishingator

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 02, 2014, 12:38:05 PM
Yeah Gator listen to LMG on this one. I have never used a Pro qualifier, but from what I hear its a good reel. 6:4 ratio with 7ft MH/F rod like the Carbonlite and you are good to go. Be patient, and have lots, and lots and lots of practice. Did i say lots of practice..... LOL... Goodluck and enjoy. When you get it let us know and we will walk you through how to use it.

I'm on my way home so I will check and see what it is.  I know I asked here before he bought it as far as what to get.  It's just been spooled up and sitting there because I've been so busy.  When it comes time to fish I automatically grab my spinning gear. 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishingator on May 02, 2014, 02:55:00 PM
I'm on my way home so I will check and see what it is.  I know I asked here before he bought it as far as what to get.  It's just been spooled up and sitting there because I've been so busy.  When it comes time to fish I automatically grab my spinning gear.

If he got you a Shimano, then he is a keeper. If he bought you a Quantum, its time for a new Husband. 8)

~roflmao

fishingator

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 02, 2014, 02:57:14 PM
If he got you a Shimano, then he is a keeper. If he bought you a Quantum, its time for a new Husband. 8)

~roflmao

Lol...I don't recall it being super flashy.  It's my first one.

MCS

Quote from: fishingator on May 02, 2014, 02:51:02 PM
Well I got it as a gift.  DH already spooled braid on it.  Do you think I should switch it out?

No I wouldn't worry as long as it is not a shimano. Your set.  lo
I was assuming you didn't have one.

I think Bandit is a smart fella hell, he likes them american classic muscle cars I bet he got you a Lews or a Quantum.  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

MCS

Gator these brands aren't a must, we joke around on which we like but there are plenty of good reels out there. Shoot I finished one inch behind MR. Tackle Tour with my lil old broke a$$ quantum POS  ~shade

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: fishingator on May 02, 2014, 03:20:48 PM
Lol...I don't recall it being super flashy.  It's my first one.

When you get home, just let us know what you got. I am sure someone has or have had that reel at one point or another. Right now brand means nothing to you because you have 0 experience with a b/c. As soon has you start learning the ropes and your skillset improves, you will branch out and see what brand most suits you. ;)

fishingator

Ok the reel is a BPS Pro Qualifier.  Here's the specs...
and the rod is a 6'6" Carbonlite MH F.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishingator on May 02, 2014, 03:59:46 PM

He knows whats up! BAM! You have the perfect beginner rig. Now get off the computer and go fish!!!! ~gf

Capt. BassinLou

You are in business!!  ~c~ Now go work that thumb.

MCS

Nice Setup. I have the 6-6 MH/F in spinning. It is a horse, light and sensative. I had it with my dobyns, granted that is a 7-3 and it is lighter than that combo even with my 40 size pflueger

fishingator

fishingator

Ooook.  Should I practice on land or just go somewhere and try to start fishing???