Gear Change In A Chronarch E

Started by Hobbes, September 18, 2023, 06:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I'm curious if the drive and pinion gears can be changed from a 5:1 ratio to a 6:1 ratio, or 7:1; or vice verses; in the Shimano Chronarch E series reels? I also wondered about the spools also. Since all three of the E series have a different part number on the spool.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Hobbes on September 18, 2023, 06:19:27 PMI'm curious if the drive and pinion gears can be changed from a 5:1 ratio to a 6:1 ratio, or 7:1; or vice verses; in the Shimano Chronarch E series reels? I also wondered about the spools also. Since all three of the E series have a different part number on the spool.
Mike Cork might know the answers. If he doesn't pop in to answer shoot him a PM.
If he knows the answer he'll be glad to share it with you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

Yes the gears are interchangeable if you do both the Pinion and Drive gear.

I never noticed the spool part number being different but I can't say I remember ordering a spool for a chronarch. I would lean toward yes they are interchangeable since the reel frame and left side plates are. The right side plate will always have a different part number because of the lettering.

I know Shimano is proud of their spools so it could end up being and expensive guess on my part.

Why are you concerned about the spools?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Hobbes

Thanks Mike.
I wasn't really interested in changing spools; but it made me more concerned with the gear change with the different numbers on the spool. I could never understand about the spools; the E5 is in silver, the E6 and E7 are black; but a different number. For most companies having the same part and part number would be cheaper in manufacturing. Just being curious.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Hobbes on September 23, 2023, 02:10:45 PMThanks Mike.
I wasn't really interested in changing spools; but it made me more concerned with the gear change with the different numbers on the spool. I could never understand about the spools; the E5 is in silver, the E6 and E7 are black; but a different number. For most companies having the same part and part number would be cheaper in manufacturing. Just being curious.

They did for for easier ways to identify the low gear ratio. But there is no issues swapping gears like Mike said, just change the main and pinion gears together, as they are usually available as the set together. I have a Citica200E with Curado200E7 gears, and carbontex drag. Still one of my favorite reels
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.