Prop suggestions for etec 200 HO

Started by RangerDave, March 02, 2024, 03:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangerDave

Folks,
I have a 1999 Ranger 518VX with an Etec 200HO, running a trophy plus 25P with an exhaust ring on back of prop. I'm getting blow out just after I get on plane, doesn't do it all the time, mostly when I try to get it up fast, any suggestions or replacement props?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave Kashuba
Dave the Fishpimp
https://612677b372228.site123.me

apenland01

What is the prop to pad measurement for your rig?  Most Rangers like the 3.25-3.5 inch range.

I run a Fury 4, so I'm not familiar with the Trophy.  Are there vent holes you can plug up to prevent blow out?

RangerDave

I don't have a jackplate, the pp is around 4".  All holes are plugged closed on my 25P trophy plus.

Thanks for the reply,
Dave
Dave Kashuba
Dave the Fishpimp

Princeton_Man

Raker H.O. 25P or a Fury 4 24P would be my first suggestion... Is the exhaust ring machined onto the prop or is it the plastic insert that clips int the lower unit? I had a lot of issues with by 4 blade Renegade when I re-powered with a new Etec back in 2015. There's more exhaust from an Etec compared to the older oil injection Intruders. I fought with it quite a bit, melted a couple exhaust rings too. Not wanting to give up my 4 blade Renegade, I called Mark Croxton. I was originally going to buy one of his 4 blade Razors. He asked for all my numbers, WOT RPMs, GPS speed, performance characteristics, and all the details. I ended up sending him my Renegade, he added MVS vents, machined an exhaust ring onto the back, added some cup to the tips, balanced and blueprinted. It cost me about $100 less than a new Razor, but it was perfect. I got an awesome hole shot, has a great grip on the water, and no blow outs. I think I even picked up a couple mph. I just sent it back to him for a new hub and some minor repairs.

Here's a suggestion that may not make a lot of sense; try opening a couple of vents.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

J.W.

Over-pitched maybe?

Where are you at in terms of RPMs and MPH at WOT?

RangerDave

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I'm getting about 5500 RPM's at WOT at 63mph. I'm OK with the speed it's just the blow out just after it gets on plane that's bugging me. I have the plastic ring on the prop itself not inside the lower unit.  I am wondering if there is a thrust washer that is slightly smaller than the original one that comes with the Evinrude hub insert, that may push the prop more tightly into the lower unit, because there is a slight gap from the end of the prop to the lower unit that maybe causing this problem?
Dave Kashuba
Dave the Fishpimp

J.W.

Quote from: RangerDave on March 04, 2024, 09:01:37 PMI'm getting about 5500 RPM's at WOT at 63mph. I'm OK with the speed it's just the blow out just after it gets on plane that's bugging me.

Well, it sounds like you're good on RPMs.

You might want to give a call to PowerTech propellers or other good prop manufacturers/shops. I have called PowerTech in the past and they were extremely helpful. Tell them what's going on, what you want out of the boat, and they can recommend a prop for you. Even if you don't want to buy one of theirs, it might give you an idea of what the problem is and what you should be looking for.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: RangerDave on March 04, 2024, 09:01:37 PMThanks for the responses, guys.
I'm getting about 5500 RPM's at WOT at 63mph. I'm OK with the speed it's just the blow out just after it gets on plane that's bugging me. I have the plastic ring on the prop itself not inside the lower unit.  I am wondering if there is a thrust washer that is slightly smaller than the original one that comes with the Evinrude hub insert, that may push the prop more tightly into the lower unit, because there is a slight gap from the end of the prop to the lower unit that maybe causing this problem?
That gap could very well be the issue. If you used a slightly thinner thrust washer, would it allow the prop to spin freely inside the lower unit housing? The metal exhaust ring that Mark machined onto my prop closes that gap. that was part of the solution to my problem. With the PVS holes, once the prop is up to speed, the exhaust gases can't escape and leave through the center of the hub.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

RangerDave

I think I have the issue solved. I added a weed ring inside the hub and had to shave it down a little, so that it wouldn't rub the exhaust ring on the back of the prop. This closed up that gap from prop to lower unit. The ole Ranger shoots out of the hole with no blowout at all, even when it gets on plan. Hope the weed ring doesn't melt LOL.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave Kashuba
Dave the Fishpimp

Princeton_Man

Quote from: RangerDave on March 26, 2024, 11:37:11 AMI think I have the issue solved. I added a weed ring inside the hub and had to shave it down a little, so that it wouldn't rub the exhaust ring on the back of the prop. This closed up that gap from prop to lower unit. The ole Ranger shoots out of the hole with no blowout at all, even when it gets on plan. Hope the weed ring doesn't melt LOL.

Thanks again,
Dave

That's great! Here's a couple of pics of my heavily modified Renegade. No danger of the metal exhaust ring melting.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

RangerDave

That prop ring looks good, hope mine stays ok for a while. I do have an extra weed ring if the one I have now melts.

Take care,
Dave
Dave Kashuba
Dave the Fishpimp