How to build a Bass Fishing Rod

Started by Mike Cork, April 13, 2016, 07:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Step by step videos describing how to build a bass fishing rod.

Get Bit Outdoors has an amazing video vault and has broken down each step in building a bass fishing rod. In a few short video clips you have all the information you need. If you still have questions, just give them a call and they will walk you through any part of the process.

http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/video-vault

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Its easier than that, I just call Lee.  ;D
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

That works too. :-*

Lee gets a lot of his components from these guys :-* Anyone wanting to take a shot a building their own for the experience will be miles ahead by checking these out  ~gf

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lee Smith

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 13, 2016, 07:55:11 AM
Its easier than that, I just call Lee.  ;D
And he gets his stuff from Getbitoutdoors!  ~c~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SteveTX

I have often wondered about having a custom rod made or building one myself.

So how does a guy pick the blank when you cant feel the blanks action or even hold the thing? Is this just a crap shot? I know if I ordered a blank it would be some person I don't even know giving me their suggestion maybe to dump a blank off or maybe what they feel is a great feel for the application. Doesn't mean its what I would think is great. I'm not even familiar with most of the brands of the blanks offered at places like Getbitoutdoors. So I don't know if they are more like a Dobyn's in feel or more like a St Croix. When your not really knowledgeable on all the brands and stuff your at the mercy of whoever or what ever.

Can someone sort of explain how this process works?
For example: I want to build a new frog rod. I could care less about pretty I am about function so as long as it wasn't like a rainbow or some crap that stuff doesn't matter but I do want killer light weight performance. I know I want a full length cork handle I'm thinking 11" or 12" length of handle. Also I want the rod to be 7'4" or 7'5" length so it has some tip but I want it to get stout in the spine pretty quick. If that makes sense. This rods sole purpose is specifically for fishing fields of pads.
So how do you know what your getting or even what to ask for?

Capt. BassinLou

Steve, that's a great Lee Smith question. I asked a specific rod question during one of my builds by him once and his response was unbelievable. The blank that would recommend you look into for frogging is a Point Blank. This blank is awesome, and for frogging applications it's  jaw dropping. Good luck on your research.

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 07, 2017, 07:09:18 PM
Steve, that's a great Lee Smith question. I asked a specific rod question during one of my builds by him once and his response was unbelievable. The blank that would recommend you look into for frogging is a Point Blank. This blank is awesome, and for frogging applications it's  jaw dropping. Good luck on your research.
So does he build all his rods using Point Blank or just frog rods? Or was that just what it took to get what you wanted? Sorry I am just trying to see how this works. Maybe Mr Smith will stop by and explain. I have hunted the web and it seems like this is just not discussed how the builder can get what the user thinks he wants. Or well I just havent found it.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on November 07, 2017, 07:33:27 PM
So does he build all his rods using Point Blank or just frog rods? Or was that just what it took to get what you wanted? Sorry I am just trying to see how this works. Maybe Mr Smith will stop by and explain. I have hunted the web and it seems like this is just not discussed how the builder can get what the user thinks he wants. Or well I just havent found it.
In my specific case, after speaking with Lee and I explained what I was looking for, we decided the best frogging blank for me was a Point Blank. He works with other blanks as well, it all boils down to specifically what it is you are looking for   and your operating budget. He will be around in the next day or so and I'm sure Lee will jump in and help you out.

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 07, 2017, 07:42:58 PM
In my specific case, after speaking with Lee and I explained what I was looking for, we decided the best frogging blank for me was a Point Blank. He works with other blanks as well, it all boils down to specifically what it is you are looking for   and your operating budget. He will be around in the next day or so and I'm sure Lee will jump in and help you out.
OK cool that answered one of my main questions.

zippyduck

Get ready for a lesson that I hope to hold onto most of the knowledge he explained to me. ~bb
He knows more about rods than I thought was possible. :shocking:
Just ask him about what you want to use it for and he will give a ten minute speech.  :surrender: Just you have to understand deep Mississippi lingo and accent. ;)
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bud Kennedy

Accent, Never noticed it.  Zip, maybe you are the one with the accent.   ;D

SteveTX

lo Somehow I think Texas draw and Mississippi lingo can communicate just fine. I am sure Lee knows more about a blank than I ever will. Hopefully I can figure out how to pick what I want and it actually be that. Whats in this mind either spills out like projectile vomit or you cant get it out I'm so hard headed. Well that is what the X-wife use to say before I drove her insane. Might be tough to get what I have dreamed up out in a manner someone could understand and translate it into what I think I want.

zippyduck

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 07, 2017, 08:13:58 PM
Accent, Never noticed it.  Zip, maybe you are the one with the accent.   ;D

Ya I do speak Pittsburghese
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

D.W. Verts

I used to love to build rods... Then Berkeley came out with the Lightning Rod, all purty (and a purty good pole, too) for under $30. Dad gum.

Still, I spent all last winter lookin' at blanks I've never heard of, tools, and kits. I wisely decided I didn't have time. Now that I've been to this site and seen some of the tremendous rod craft sponsors, I may have to dabble again. I mean, what's another hobby?
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

I hear ya. I have had the bug but cant afford to have a real pro build me one I don't think. Ill probably be told I cant afford not to have him build it.  lo But I just cant get over how to pick a blank. I mean its a huge amount of the investment so I would hate to do it and then hate it.

I dont know I am sure Lee will straighten me out if he reads this. Or he may run and hide.  ~roflmao

D.W. Verts

I hear you- I too would have a hard time buying a blank, or even a fishin' pole, without having it in my hand. IN THE DAY we didn't have the help like you're going to get. It's cool. Luckily I had a high-end tackle dealer who stocked blanks, and would even order stuff in for us to look at. He always sold 'em to some one.

Good luck with your adventure. You will dig it.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Steve, I perfectly understand where you are coming from. Not knowing how the fishing rod will feel in hand and apprehension you will feel  if it was not what you were looking for. I had 0 experience with PointBlanks when I was introduced to them. I researched the blanks saw videos and testimonials, and finally I put my faith in the rod builder himself. In the end, the craftsmanship was amazing and it's my favorite rod to fish with.

Lee Smith

Steve, There are tons and tons of blanks out there, yes I prefer the Point Blanks, but there are many that work really well.  The PB's are lighter than most and definitely more sensitive than most at their price range.  Most of the people I build for use them as a jig/frog rod.  Hope this helps.  And yes, I get them all from Kevin at Getbitoutdoors.com!

SFL BassHunter

I got all the stuff to build rods, and started on one. Still haven't finished it lol. But I will one of these days.
It's not as easy as it looks that is for sure. Takes time and $, like any hobby.

I'm still gonna get me one of them famous Lee Smith rods though! Been looking at getbitoutdoors.com to have an idea for the day "The Talk" happens. lol
Last thing I want is to be all "Ummm, hmmmm, duuuhhhh, I dunno..."
I will have to brush up on my Mississippi lingo though.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lee Smith

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 08, 2017, 01:26:38 PM
I got all the stuff to build rods, and started on one. Still haven't finished it lol. But I will one of these days.
It's not as easy as it looks that is for sure. Takes time and $, like any hobby.

I'm still gonna get me one of them famous Lee Smith rods though! Been looking at getbitoutdoors.com to have an idea for the day "The Talk" happens. lol
Last thing I want is to be all "Ummm, hmmmm, duuuhhhh, I dunno..."
I will have to brush up on my Mississippi lingo though.

wut ya tryin' ta say thar youngin?  you ain't talkin' plan anglish

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lee Smith on November 08, 2017, 01:29:01 PM
Lmao!! So it begins... have fun Rick!! :)

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lee Smith on November 08, 2017, 01:29:01 PM

You gotta remember, I practically live in a foreign country lol!   ~roflmao
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bud Kennedy

This should be good.  A new language may be invented.  Mississippi Spanglish

SteveTX

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 08, 2017, 02:20:14 PM
This should be good.  A new language may be invented.  Mississippi Spanglish

They have been using Spanglish down here for awhile. You should hear the when the River Rats start in with the Spanglish. :shocking: Cant understand a damn thing they are saying. But they all are shaking their heads and waving arms and hands. Just got to figure someone in the bunch understood something. :surrender:

SteelHorseCowboy

Aw hell y'all. I was born and raised in the 'Sip. It's heaven on earth as far as I can reckon. I've got a thermos hidden in my bedroom that I take with me when I travel, full of river water from "The Father of Waters". E'ry time I go home I dump it back in the river, e'ry time I leave I fill 'er back up! It's a ritual I started the day I signed the dotted line and it dawned on me that I may never go home again.
So the Mississippi river has officially visited Haiti, England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Serbia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Israel. It took some high talking getting it through "military customs", the shakedown we'd get periodically while traveling to make sure we weren't picking up any contraband along the way, especially when it was discovered what was in it. I never knew it was considered an "eco-hazard". I claimed "religious practices" to keep it from being confiscated.

I never had the MS "hick" accent though. My accent's been described as "Southern", and one fella went so far as to call it "Southern Plantation Gentry".
I can't understand some of the backwoods folks I know back home!