Ugly stiks

Started by Esox obsessed, October 28, 2020, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

Am i the only one who uses ugly stiks gx2 spinning rod
Because i don't really seem the advantages because they are very sensitive and very durable
Accidentally had tip hit fan spinning and there wasn't even a scatch
Also do they make the 6ft6 medium action in 1 piece as i cant seem to find them anywhere

Mike Cork

That's a claim to fame for ugly stix, they don't break. I used to own one and loved fishing with it. It was a light action and simply a blast when pond fishing. You couldn't break it so it was the best thing I had for dragging through the brush.

I couldn't tell you what their options are. You might be able to find a customer service number on their website.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

I have a few old spinning rods one of which is a ugly stick and one two year old Dobyns but I rarely use a spinning setup. So to answer your question no I don't use one. I have read elsewhere of others saying that the gx2 wasnt a horrible rod but I have no experience with that particular rod.

Couple things to remember. Sensitivity is a lot of what someone perceive. Its like the guy fishing his favorite lure, knot or reel. If its what he likes and obviously if its his favorite or in his comfort zone he will swear by it. Also you will never convince guys that are spending $250 and up on rods that any Ugly Stick is a good rod.  lo Its taboo for them.

Based off their website the only 6'6" Medium in the GX2 spinning rods is model USSP662M and it is listed as a 2 piece. So if the did sell them it was in the past I presume.

Pferox

I own two of the old MH Ugly Sticks Spinning Rods, they were the Eglass models. One of them I found on the shore next to a garbage can in rough shape.  I actually rebuilt it from "Acquired" or Salvaged parts and I call it Frankenrod.  LOL.  It has caught many larger than bass fish, including some medium sized sharks, but I only use them for still bait fishing. 

The only GX2 I have is a MH7 footer I think, but it is a casting rod that I bought for Big Drum fishing in Salt Water.  It is much more sensitive than my old Ugly Sticks, which is what many people use as the reason why they are "dead sticks"

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bigjim5589

Esox, you're not the only one who uses them, but of the members here on UB, you may be the only one who does and posts regularly. The Ugly Stick brand has a big following, they're very popular rods, but that's relative to how folks use the rods. I had one years ago, and now only have Daiwa Beefstick rods, which are generally considered not even as good as the Ugly Sticks.

Of course like SteveTX said, we're all different, and the same rod in my hands will not be the same rod in yours. I really like those Daiwa rods for what I bought them for, which was occasional saltwater surf fishing for myself & some of my family. I only used them for about a week, and maybe a few years apart. I know of many folks who will say they're junk, but not to me.

You apparently are using those Ugly Sticks a lot more often, so if they're doing what you need from them, and you're satisfied with them, then there are no better rods, for you. You can buy "better", which you'll pay more for most likely, but may not improve anything for you over what you're using now. That too is always personal as we are all different.

I used to get very wrapped up with my tackle purchases, worrying I wasn't buying the best for me. I found that as long as what I did buy, did the job, then I didn't need to look further. Many times my purchases were made primarily due to price, as I couldn't always afford something better, so i made a compromise. Many of those choices have turned out to be very good.

Over many years I've added rods & reels to what I use, sometimes because I felt I needed something different than what I had, often for a specific purpose, and sometimes just because I wanted something new. That can be a big difference. If what you have works well for you, then you have what you need, but may not have what you want. That of course only you can determine.

I haven't been to the coast to surf fish in several years, so now I use those Beetstick rods for some catfishing. Most are much heavier than I need, and I also have other gear I can use, but I have them so use them. For what they are, well built, and inexpensive, I'll never bad mouth them.

Maybe that's how you should be thinking, as long as you're satisfied with those rods, it doesn't matter if anyone else uses the same type/model or not.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pferox

I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few people on here who have used Ugly sticks in their fishing "careers",  and many still do for certain applications.

Like Jim I have quite a collection of rods, many are old bass rods that have become inshore pieces for around here.

I actually have two of those Beefstick rods that Jim is talking about in casting, they are 6 foot or so, and a very stiff medium.  I have a Penn 209 on one with 20lb mono (this is an old reel that won't take braid).  The other one uses a Penn 309 on it with 30lb mono.  I like those combos for targeting sting ray, which are a hard fight. 

They are of like a hard fighting catfish, those guys get down flat on the bottom and bury into the sand, and you have to coax them out of their anchorage.

They take quite a bit of weight to cast any distance, but since I'm fishing off of a pier, I don't need much casting distance.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bigjim5589

Quote from: Pferox on October 28, 2020, 09:23:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few people on here who have used Ugly sticks in their fishing "careers",  and many still do for certain applications.

Like Jim I have quite a collection of rods, many are old bass rods that have become inshore pieces for around here.

I actually have two of those Beefstick rods that Jim is talking about in casting, they are 6 foot or so, and a very stiff medium.  I have a Penn 209 on one with 20lb mono (this is an old reel that won't take braid).  The other one uses a Penn 309 on it with 30lb mono.  I like those combos for targeting sting ray, which are a hard fight. 

They are of like a hard fighting catfish, those guys get down flat on the bottom and bury into the sand, and you have to coax them out of their anchorage.

They take quite a bit of weight to cast any distance, but since I'm fishing off of a pier, I don't need much casting distance.

Most of the Beefsticks that I have are spinning rods, but I also have one casting rod. It's 9 or 10', ( I can't remember without looking), so much longer than most folks might use for bass or other freshwater fish, and I also have it paired with a 309 Penn. I have a couple of those Penn's in 309 & 209, which I generally use on trolling rods for bucktails or spoons, or bottom rods where I'll be using bait.

One of the spinning rods is 8' long and might make a good rod for Pike or Muskies. When I first started obtaining these rods, I would also occasionally use them for tossing big wood lures, some actually sold as Muskie lures and up to 5 ounces in weight, that I would use for Striped bass. This was from a boat, as that was usually the only time I got to use the bigger lures.

If I was fishing from shore and tossing lures for Stripers, I used the same rods & reels that I used for bass, most being Bass Pro Shops casting rods in the Extreme Series and I've had some of them for many years too.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.