Question on Rod Power and Action

Started by philm63, November 06, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

Narrowing down the focus for my next build; I'm seeing a couple of MHX blanks that look like they'd fit the bill - the MB842 and the CB843. Both are 7 footers, M/F and M/M-F respectively. Difference being the CB843 is a crankbait rod and states it is a blend, while the Mag Taper rod is all graphite.

My question is in the power - I'd expect a composite to be a bit more parabolic when compared to a graphite rod with the same rating. Is my thinking even somewhat correct here? The blended crankbait blank is $10 more than the graphite one, but will the difference in backbone really help keep trebles connected to fish? Is that what this is about?

So much to learn, still...

Mike Cork

You are thinking correctly.

The goal of a blended rod is to give a little more of a parabolic bend but keep strength and sensitivity. This helps with casting baits longer distances, feeling strikes at longer distances, and then keeping a bass hooked on those long casts.

I like some blended rods because I hate straight glass rods. I think a full glass rod has way too much give, they are heavy, and has trouble casting larger crankbaits. The backbone created with adding some graphite to the rod really changes the dynamics.

All that said, I've gone back to all graphite rods, even for my crankbaits. Todays graphite rods can be tapered and powered to fish crankbaits as well as a glass rod, however you get a bonus, a graphite rod provides much more sensitivity.

Until about 10 years ago I felt a crankbait was a chunk in wind bait, now I realize the need to be able to detect bottom composition and feeling a vibration change indicating a strike. I've learned that the extra sensitivity of a graphite crankbait rod really helps put more fish in the boat. With a graphite rod, I can crawl a crankbait through a brush top much easier.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

philm63

So if I stuck with the MB842, which is all graphite, is the medium action enough of a rating to still give a soft enough backbone to retain the ability to cast long, feel strikes at distance and keep them on? Or should I go to the ML power? Or is that too far...

And how does rod length play into this? I ask because if the M/F 7' blend has a softer backbone than the M/F 7' graphite, would a 7' 4" graphite have close to the same feel as the 7' blend, all else being equal?

Mike Cork

All rod manufacturers are a little different but in general yes to both your questions.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service