Spinnerbait Modification

Started by Mike Cork, August 21, 2006, 05:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Apply clear fingernail polish to your spinner bait blade and while it is still wet sprinkle various colors of glitter on your blades.

This is a great way to get a slightly different presentation when everyone on the lake is throwing spinner baits.

If your choice in glitter or flake didn't work, simply use a small amount of fingernail polish remover and clean it off and try again.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Steve_W

I have been using painted blades on my spinnerbaits and I noticed some rust on the edges of one that wasn't that old ~xyz But I like the spinnerbaits so I think I'll use your tip(just the clear) when they are new to help them last longer ~c~

OHbassaholic

I like this idea!  :-*

Just think, once you find a glitter that works, you could add it to some of those "not so productive" combos in the tackle bag.  Great tip.

GotstaFish

Question is,do you go out and by fingernail polish or chance it by stealing your wife's? My luck luck they would call out a price check on isle 4, Big guy needs price on Covergirl nailpolish!!!  :roll2:

RoyW BC

Quote from: GotstaFish on August 21, 2006, 09:09:16 PM
Question is,do you go out and by fingernail polish or chance it by stealing your wife's? My luck luck they would call out a price check on isle 4, Big guy needs price on Covergirl nailpolish!!!  :roll2:

lo
September 6th,2006...1:00pm..the BASS was hooked,and so was I!

ikeslayer

i do this with jigs and jsut about anythign that will take fingernail polish. good tip. ike

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 21, 2006, 05:12:46 PM
Apply clear fingernail polish to your spinner bait blade and while it is still wet sprinkle various colors of glitter on your blades.

This is a great way to get a slightly different presentation when everyone on the lake is throwing spinner baits.

If your choice in glitter or flake didn't work, simply use a small amount of fingernail polish remover and clean it off and try again.
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

big g

Way too much effort for me, but thanks for your idea!   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

fishballer06

You can also do this on chatterbait and underspin blades!
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

the_huber_show

Great idea and super easy!  Thanks Mike
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

bowhunter63

Great idea,I have a 10 year old daughter.We have plenty of glitter
Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good

saltystick

I use black painted Colorado blades with my short arm spinnerbaits. Adding a just bit of chartreuse glitter might produce and interesting effect.

fishingram24

One more tip to add to this, you can add a little Spike It worm dye to the clear polish and have chartreuse or any of the other colors that are made. Got about 20 bottles in various colors in my man cave and have fun experimenting with different baits.

Retired and loving every minute of it!

bigjim5589

Quote from: Steve_W on August 21, 2006, 08:08:42 PM
I have been using painted blades on my spinnerbaits and I noticed some rust on the edges of one that wasn't that old ~xyz But I like the spinnerbaits so I think I'll use your tip(just the clear) when they are new to help them last longer ~c~

Unfortunately, that can happen because many of the painted blades are steel. I try to buy blades that are brass, but sometimes you get what you get.

I, and many others use a clear fingernail polish as a cement & coating when tying flies. Sally Hansens Hard As Nails is the brand that many fly tyers use. ( So if you want to tie hair or feathers, this is good stuff!)  Fingernail polishes come in many, many cool colors, so the possibilities of what you can do are almost endless. Glitters are also easy to find, and again I use some on many flies, especially poppers. Most any hobby or craft store will carry glitters and they can be ordered online from craft suppliers. They're available in different sizes too. Heck, some of the nail polish already has glitter in it!  lo

There are a lot of ways that a lure can be doctored to change the color or add to what's already there!

Clear epoxy can be colored with dye powder, like Rit, mixed with a few drops of alcohol, and also glitter can be added to epoxy. This is a more time consuming but durable method of adding a coating, if you want to take the time to do it. Epoxy will run & drip, so needs to be rotated until it sets, so not as easy to do as nail polish, but will generally last a lot longer than most nail polish. I've done this on flies, lure bodies and jigs.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fishingram24 on August 10, 2019, 05:14:34 PM
One more tip to add to this, you can add a little Spike It worm dye to the clear polish and have chartreuse or any of the other colors that are made. Got about 20 bottles in various colors in my man cave and have fun experimenting with different baits.

Spike-It also sells "Blade Dip" made just for this purpose. I have used it to good results but I honestly can't say if they are just repackaging the same lure dye and charging more for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire