When it ain't happening !

Started by Larry Francis, July 07, 2023, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Francis

When the fish are just not eating anything!

What is your thought process?

What is your go to?

Besides the couch at home I mean LOL.
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on July 07, 2023, 02:14:22 PMWhen the fish are just not eating anything!

What is your thought process?

What is your go to?

Besides the couch at home I mean LOL.
I double down, I embrace the suck, and break down the water. I keep fishing until the heat just runs me off.

FlatsNBay

I go back to an area that I had a hit or two and slow down and saturate the area with a variety of techniques. There's a reason that the fish are there, just have to slow down and find more of them.

As you know, Florida is unique and is very area specific with lots of dead water in between. Cover water with your confidence baits until you run into them. Location, location, location!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

big g

I go to thick cover and slow down.  I always try this, sometimes your the window ~bb , sometimes your the bug  ~b~ .
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

bigjim5589

I'll start fishing for panfish instead with ultralight tackle, or go to fly tackle so I can really slow down and see if the change in how the smaller lures or fly materials might spark something.

Otherwise, I just cover the water and fish. Won't matter to me if I find bass or something else, or go home without catching anything. I'm at least out there & fishing.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Dark3

I usually always start my trips up north out bright eyed and bushy tailed with a challenge usually offshore. When I get my ass kicked looking for footballs, I just move to the shallow grass flats and docks for a reaction bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dink Dawg

I try a vertical reaction bite.  A heavy jig and drop it on their head. If I really have confidence there is a fish there, it gets a dozen presentations.

Larry Francis

Some great responses, Thanks.

I personally go to my spot on the lake and toss a trick worm and dead stick it.

If that does not work then a Crankbait or Spinner bait and look for new water that I have never fished before. This is a hail mary but I figure I will find something I like (or maybe dislike ) in this area.

If you not catching you are learning.
Molon Labe

loomisguy

Break out ol Ned and a shakey head.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: loomisguy on July 09, 2023, 04:57:38 AMBreak out ol Ned and a shakey head.
Along with dropshot and shaky head.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Hobious

i go to deeper water.  and slow way down. 

i think they are somewhere, willing to eat something. 

SenkoSam

Quote from: bigjim5589 on July 07, 2023, 08:38:08 PMI'll start fishing for panfish instead with ultralight tackle, or go to fly tackle so I can really slow down and see if the change in how the smaller lures or fly materials might spark something.

Otherwise, I just cover the water and fish. Won't matter to me if I find bass or something else, or go home without catching anything. I'm at least out there & fishing.

We are on the same page! Yesterday was hot and windy on this one lake that had many potential areas to cast to. After the torrential downpours in the last few weeks, fish were close to the bank and under overhanging tree branches in the shade. Getting my light soft plastics and jigs under those branches when the wind was blowing over 20mph was a challenge to say the least. I'm talking 1/24 oz jigs and small plastics. Got 52 fish - mostly pannies and some bass.

Hey, many fish species are just as fun to fight than just bass.

SenkoSam

Since I couldn't do a full edit, here are a few shots of lures that have been doing well when fish are found:
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Sonar showed many schools in deeper water, but no bites. Surface water temperature was in the upper 80's with a severe weather front moving in. The strikes were hard and at times school fish yielded 10 consecutive strikes/hooksets.
1/16 oz and 1/24 oz. ball head jigs did the trick along with a variety of soft plastic shapes in different colors.

SenkoSam

Water had the look of pea soup and snagging stumps was frequent. :'( At least most snags were freed but even braid couldn't save many of the lures with single hooks.

Oldfart9999

Sometimes it's just nice to pop a cold diet Pepsi, sit back and enjoy the scenery.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

I've found these to be the most effective.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Princeton_Man on July 14, 2023, 09:58:20 AMI've found these to be the most effective.

They're even better in Chartreuse...

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

PapaMike

"There must not be many fish in this pond," said the teen boy to me. He rarely catches more than a few bluegill and a snagged shad or two.

"May I give you some advice?" I'm always cautious when offering a teen any instruction or advice. After all I'm 72, so I can't know much.

I encouraged him to fish his spinner bait parallel to the bank, just in front of the vegetation. "Huh?" he says. Just try it, I said.

He did and got slammed by a vicious LMB, about 3 lbs worth.

From now on, while I'm out fishing, I'm going to encourage a youngster to try something different. Change the plan. Watch others. Ask for help.

Rusty63

I have used this for years it will catch fish when I have struck out with everything else. I retrieve it Charlie Brewer style.