Braided line noise

Started by Larry Francis, February 15, 2024, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Francis

So I was fishing the other day and I was punching Kissimmee Grass and decided to move to another area about 50 yards away. Trolling motor on high and dragging the lure a foot or so underwater. I felt a very obvious vibration and what would also be a noise. I am deaf literally and I could seriously swear this was making noise. I have noticed this before over time and just kinda poo pooed it. This was very strong and obvious though, it concerned me.

At this point I started research which to my surprise I found very little about this subject and almost none. I did find one that says the 8 strand is quieter than the 4 strand but it still makes noise. In Florida we fish a lot of Vegetation from Pads to grass everywhere. This makes Braid very helpful when the fight is on.

What I would like ask the UB folks is should this noise be concerning. I know I think it does concern me. But You Tube has nothing on it, so many folks down here use it almost exclusively. Now I get the whole Pitching and Punching heavy grass and the need for it but what I am concerned about is situations like throwing a Speedworm or vibe tail if you will. Or a swimjig. Then also spinnerbaits and other moving lures in the water.  I this Vibration costing me bites on my moving lures ? The fish have to hear or feel this in the water. Seems like a deterrent to me.

What is your opinions on this one. Lets find out.
Molon Labe

Captsteve

I think vibration and noise attract them

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

J.W.

Never noticed anything like that, but I'll pay attention to it next time.

Capt. BassinLou

This topic has been touched on in the past, but it doesn't gain much traction, as far as a discussion.  Higher strand braid cuts down on the noise going through guides, versus 4 strand braid. Now the question is, does it spook the bass? That's a tough question. Could it? Maybe? Under certain situations when the bass are pressured.

In my experience so far, I haven't come across a situation where 4 strand braid have spooked the bass because of line noise. On the contrary I love hearing that violin sound when I hook into a nice bass.  lo 

Good topic Larry.  :-*

Donald Garner

The times I've used braided line the only noise I heard was it while casting and reeling it back in through the rod guides  ~shade

I've never used it fishing moving baits other than a frog.  Flipping and Pitching I don't think it really matters.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Larry Francis

Next time everyone is out stick a lure in the water a couple feet and drag it while trolling I am sure you will feel it too.

Like for pitching I doubt there is enough to make much vibration so no there would be no effect in that scenario.
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on February 15, 2024, 04:28:14 PMNext time everyone is out stick a lure in the water a couple feet and drag it while trolling I am sure you will feel it too.

Like for pitching I doubt there is enough to make much vibration so no there would be no effect in that scenario.

I know exactly what your saying. What's even crazier, is when the wind is really blowing, and the braid is stretched tight, you can hear the wind passing through the line.  lo

Smallie_Stalker

There are a lot of things bass hear and feel in their world, probably far more than we could ever realize.

I fish braid on ALL my rods but 1 and I have never noticed any decrease in bites. Personally I don't think line noise or vibration makes any difference, and I know for sure the bass aren't smart enough to think " oh that's a strange noise or feeling. I better stay away.

Bass are curious by nature except in pressured situations as Lou mentioned. I agree with Steve I think if anything it attracts them not repels them.

Just my worthless 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Eric-Maine

I love the sound of braid when you set the hook on a giant punching. There is a lot of noise you can make before they hear or feel the braid.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

Quote from: Eric-Maine on February 15, 2024, 08:49:19 PMI love the sound of braid when you set the hook on a giant punching. There is a lot of noise you can make before they hear or feel the braid.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Oh, I love the sing when punching as well. I am not saying it's all bad, especially in that situation. But I am not so sure in other situations mentioned above. That is why I wanted to discuss it.
Molon Labe