Shallow Spool Reels?

Started by Hobbes, August 07, 2018, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I use a baitcaster for a lot of my finesse fishing. I saw a video of Brent Ehrler saying the shallow spool Diawas cast a finesse bait much better. I fish Shimano; so comparison wise; will a Curado 70 cast light baits better than a Curado 200k? Also; is the 70 smaller overall in size; or the size of a 200; with a shallow spool and better bearings? I have not fished any of the newer Shimano reels. Thanks

Mike Cork

The 70 is much smaller than the 200k, as far as reels go. Both are great reels, but the 70 is going to be better with smaller baits for sure. However, with the right rod, I think the 200K will be effective as well.

With either reel, you're in for a treat. If you're primarily going to use it for smaller or finesse, get the 70.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FloridaFishinFool

Mike and you are right about 70 casting lighter lures. But hold out for curado dc. It will beat the 70 I am hearing...

Redux here on this forum exclusively uses the k and 70's. I think he agrees 70's cast lighter lures and he is looking to buy some more I think for this very reason. Maybe he'll chime in.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

The 200 is a bigger reel than the 70, but the numbers are more to signify the spool depths. The smaller the number, the more shallow the spool.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

redux

The 70 is a small, light reel and the spool is shallow. It is good for finesse applications out of the box paired with the right rod.

I swapped out the stock bearings with some full ceramics FFF had lying around. It would be great with a set of hybrid ceramics or if you don't want to spend more money you can pry off one bearing seal, flush them out with acetone, and run them dry. I found that I needed to pull off the shield because the gap between the shield and the inner race is so small the grease wouldn't come out after soaking so when they dried out the grease was actually gummier than before and the bearings barely worked. Just my experience.

I actually have this setup of bearings on a new K I got and it is great. I think the grease is fine with heavier baits, but for finesse applications it requires additional start-up force that will make the reel less than ideal for light baits.

You should be sure to use a light rod so the reel isn't overpowered. I have both my 70s on Falcon Lowrider 20s (7'2" H and 7' MH) and think anything heavier (or larger diameter) than those would be an odd balance. I don't know the actual weight of these rods, but they are really light weight for the amount of power they have.

Also, the highest # braid the 70 is supposed to get is 40# so unless you want FFF telling you about how you're abusing your reel and the warranty is void don't use braid heavier than 40#  lo

So, the 71 XG with full ceramic bearings, 40# braid, 4/0 hook on 7'2" Heavy/Fast rod can easily throw a weightless 5" senko farther than you would ever need it to go. I have not messed around with a weightless finesse worm, but I was having a good time flipping with one and an 1/8 ounce weight.
You can't win of you're not in.