Leader users what say you??

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 13, 2021, 10:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

This topic is VERY popular, but ultimately the threads turns to " I just strictly throw" (insert line)  __________ <------ 

This topic is for leader users SPECIFICALLY!!  ;D ;D

Now that I got that out of the way.

For leader users, my first question is why do you throw them? Second question, what is your minimum leader length and why? 

Capt. BassinLou

I have been throwing leaders for YEARS!! I use them for specific applications. One such example is when I'm bank fishing. I fish a lot in limestone dredged canals. Braid and limestone don't play nice with each other especially when battling a nice sized largemouth, snook, or peacock. I have found a mono, copoly, or fc leader help with delaying a break off from fraying.

Pferox

I throw leaders mainly for abrasion resistance over the thinner main line I use.   Whether it is braid or mono, I usually throw 20lb or less to keep the reels smaller.
So my leaders are usually 30 to 80lb depending on what part of the Gulf Coast I'm fishing.
I don't use wire much anymore because I don't want to mess with sharks, I rather they break off and live for another day.  Lip jewelry is less traumatic to a shark than all the hassle of the fight and release. With heavy mono or Flouro leader I can still catch the smaller sharks and release them safely.  And it usually holds up to the other toothy fish I tend to come across.
Lengths are subjective, sometimes they are quite short, a foot or less, other times they can be 20 feet or longer, it all depends on the situation and what species I'm hoping to catch.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

njpaulc

When I use a leader I use a short one, 18 inches or less, and will retie as it gets shorter.  I use a back to back uni-knot, quick and clean.  Used to use a surgeons knot but it slipped with fluro and braid.  I use it strictly for spinning, usually using 15 lb braid as a main line and an 8 to 12 lb fluro leader.  I just got some tieable titanium leader material and I will eventually try it for punching where there's a lot of toothy critters.  Haven't decided on what knot to use, any ideas?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: njpaulc on November 13, 2021, 11:59:21 AM
When I use a leader I use a short one, 18 inches or less, and will retie as it gets shorter.  I use a back to back uni-knot, quick and clean.  Used to use a surgeons knot but it slipped with fluro and braid.  I use it strictly for spinning, usually using 15 lb braid as a main line and an 8 to 12 lb fluro leader.  I just got some tieable titanium leader material and I will eventually try it for punching where there's a lot of toothy critters.  Haven't decided on what knot to use, any ideas?
I have had significant knot success since switching to the FG knot.

Smallie_Stalker

Anymore the only time I use a leader is on a Carolina rig, so I don't know if that qualifies here but I'll chime in anyway.

I mainly use a length of very small diameter Berkley Fireline as my leader. Usually 10 lb. test which has the diameter of 4 lb. mono. If I'm using a bait that actually floats I will use a light wire hook to keep the bait up off the bottom.

As to leader length I once saw Dion Hibdon say that he puts his hands out in front of him and spreads his arms shoulder width apart. That is the length of his leader and he never varies it regardless of how tall the grass might be or how clear the water. This is pretty much what I do the majority of the time and it has worked well although sometimes I will go a little longer. But never shorter.

I use the good old Palomar knot to attach the leader to the swivel.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

RangerAndBass

Up north I use a lot of leaders due to the clear water. I use it on everything except my frogs, toads, punching rig or heavy flipping jigs. I use mono on my top water lures, spooks & poppers. I use floro on everything else.
It's only about visibility for me.
And I use an FG knot.
In Florida it's 100% straight braid. I dont really fish any clean water here.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

loomisguy

I only use a leader on a spinning rod for the ned rig or finesse in general. 15lb. braid to 6lb. flouro about 10 feet of leader with a surgeons knot.

FishaHallic

I use leaders mainly on spinning tackle and my topwater baitcaster.  My leader length is around 5' and I will fish that down to about 18" and I use the FG knot also.  Never really thought about why I use leaders on some rods but not others but I think it's because my spinning rods guides are a little bigger and even though I use the FG knot it still goes thru guides better on spinning than baitcaster.  With that being said, I still use a leader on my baitcaster when throwing topwater and with the FG knot it stills goes thru guides fine.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

D.W. Verts

I use a mono leader, 4-8 feet long. Sometimes tapered.

On my fly rod.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

FlatsNBay

The only time I use a leader is on my spinning set up. I go from braid to a fluorocarbon leader. The leader length normally is about 18-24 inches. I've experimented with leaders in the 6-8 foot range but saw no benefit plus there was more guides on the rod for the connecting knot to bang against to fail the knot.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

I normally use 6-7 foot leaders. Why? Because I re-tie often, and the FG knot has really helped me to facilitate that. I could not use leaders for days at time with other popular adjoining knots because of knot failures due to guide fraying. Have I had FG knots fail? Yes, and I have figured out why, but I don't want to hijack my own thread by going off topic.

I use leaders for my treble lures, t-rig, and spinning gear applications. I enjoy using braid to mono, copoly, and fc leaders because I find they offer the best qualities of each line. I stay clear of leaders for power fishing applications. Hard hook sets + heavy gear is where I stop using leaders and transition to using just one line.

FishinBuck07

Leaders are only used on my spinning gear, 10lb braid to 8 - 12lb fluoro.  6-7foot long, also because I re-tie a lot.  I use the Shin knot for line to line connection, have tried the FG and that thing takes a wizard to tie.lol

Capt. BassinLou

Oldfart9999

I use a leader on a lot of my spinning and some of my baitcasting, it's a confidence thing. I've read what Bo and others have written about not needing leaders and even tried it, but I just have more confidence with one. Can lead an oldfart to water but he'll drink the bourbon.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Blacknredflake

I thought about trying a braid to flouro leader on my flippin rod...... may just go to straight braid...   

I currently use 15lb Big Game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

BassmanRudy

For a wacky rig or shaky head I'll usually have a 6' leader of 10-12lb flouro. Using spinning gear so going thru the guides usually isn't an issue.

On Carolina rigs for sure.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

big g

No, I use 100% floro on 90% of all my plastics being used.
Mono on top water.
Braid on frogs, jigs, and pitching.

I have used leaders years ago, but just worth the hassle!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Ifish247365

I use steel leaders. Otherwise end up losing alot of lures to northern pike and muskies.
Always thinking about fishing or fishing.

Pipepro

I go back and forth a lot. I do keep a leader on my drop shot rig, about 12' or so since I re tie quite often.

I was using a leader on my wacky worm setup but I havent noticed a difference in bites with/without the leader so I start with one and sooner or later ive re tied enough that its gone and I dont bother putting it back.

I am using braid on my topwater rods and it seems the braid likes to float in the wind and ends up wrapped in the front hooks quite often.  I saw a pro tip about using a short heavy leader to prevent fouling of the hooks. I use about a foot of 20lb big game mono and problem solved!

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO