Champion XP Spinning Rod Help

Started by fish_taco, January 06, 2022, 10:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish_taco

Hi guys. Been reading all the great advice on this forum for a while. Picked up a couple Champion XPs (702c and 733c) recently and I'm hooked.

I'm looking to add a spinning rod to my collection of Champion XPs and trying to decide between a 733sf and 763sf. I'm intrigued by the 733 because I read that the blank is the last gen DX blank, and wondering if the 732 and 762/3/4 also use the same last gen DX blank?

I dont use spinning gear too often, but I'm hoping it can be multipurpose for when I do want to use it. 95% of my fishing is from the shore and almost never into any kind of thick vegetation.

Main uses: heavy dropshot/dropswim, hardbaits (spook jr, jerkbaits), 1/4-3/8oz swimjigs, 1/4-1/2oz c-rig with a small mosquito hook for surf fishing.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

Gwamba

I've been with Dobyns for 15 years and have fished all the spin rods mentioned...The current DC 733sf was a gen 1 DX 744sf that Gary trimmed an inch off, speeding up the action. The 732 is more of a "buggy whip" The 763 is also parabolic with more backbone than the 762.
The 733sf and 764sf are Gen 1 Extreme blanks and IMHO the best of the Champs...The 733sf is a terrific all round rod...Here is a 5 lber from June 21, on a ned rig...733sf, 12# braid/12# ldr
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

fish_taco

Thanks Gwamba.

I guess I'll be picking up a DC 733SF. I'm partial to lighter powers, especially in a spinning rod.

Gwamba

You wont be disappointed  ~gf
also great for walleye on plastics...
Rapala  Strike King

fish_taco

A couple more questions about the 733 and 764...

75% of my spinning gear use is for surf fishing. I need a rod to cast a jerkbait and use a steady slow retrieve (no popping or jerking with the rod to give the lure action). Can the 733 handle casting a 5/8 - 7/9oz jerkbait? Or should I go with a 764?

How does the 764 do with light swimjigs and carolina rigs (1/4 - 1/2oz)? Can a 1/4 jighead with 3" grub/swimbait plastic load up enough to cast a decent distance? I imagine the 733 would handle this better.

NavyToad

The 733 is way underpowered to be throwing 5/8oz Or even 1/2oz IMO.
Call Dobyns and they'll answer all your questions. Seriously, you need to call them!
Retired Navy.
Professional muddler.

Gwamba

Quote from: fish_taco on January 07, 2022, 08:58:46 AM
A couple more questions about the 733 and 764...

75% of my spinning gear use is for surf fishing. I need a rod to cast a jerkbait and use a steady slow retrieve (no popping or jerking with the rod to give the lure action). Can the 733 handle casting a 5/8 - 7/9oz jerkbait? Or should I go with a 764?

How does the 764 do with light swimjigs and carolina rigs (1/4 - 1/2oz)? Can a 1/4 jighead with 3" grub/swimbait plastic load up enough to cast a decent distance? I imagine the 733 would handle this better.
The 733 is great with 3-4" grub/swimbaits and 1/8-1/4 jig heads
The 764 I have fished tubes, swimbaits and Shiver Minnows up to 3/4oz regularly Guiding on Green Bay and lake Superior w/o issues. 20# braid/15# fluoro leader. Caught monster Smallies to 8 lbs.
Rapala  Strike King

fish_taco

Thanks Navy Toad. That gives me a new impression of the 733. I guess its sensitivity is impressive, regardless of its power. I'll give Dobyns a call soon.

Thanks again Gwamba. How well does the 764 load up when casting 1/4oz lures?

Gwamba

You can really cover all the bases with the 764... Dobyns spin rods are built with parabolic tip sections that add to versatility. The 733 is more of a Ned/DS/lighter Tubes for me... They are both Gen 1 Extreme blanks as a great bonus!  :)
Rapala  Strike King

fish_taco

Anyone know for certain if all the 7'3, 7'6 and 7'9 DC SF rods are gen 1 DX blanks?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fish_taco on January 07, 2022, 02:34:57 PM
Anyone know for certain if all the 7'3, 7'6 and 7'9 DC SF rods are gen 1 DX blanks?

I know for sure the 733SF is. No clue on the other 2.  :P
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fish_taco

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 07, 2022, 02:51:06 PM

In my searching, I found these two posts by Gary himself. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation, since these posts are a few years old now.

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on June 25, 2019, 01:17:47 PM

These two models are special so is 792SF. These were all old series DX blanks. When I needed to add longer spins to Champion line I didn't want to remake blanks when I had surefire hits from older DX. On the 732 and 733, they were old 7'4" rods. so I cut 1/2" off the butt to get to 7' 3 1/2" (Called 7'3" models) and the 792 blank, I left as is. These are now in Champion line. I took big hit in margins but the rods are exceptional.

Also, I agree the best all around CB rod would be a 705CB. THX!!

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on April 23, 2018, 12:21:54 PM
The 763SF has a touch more power than the 733SF. Since you mention the 764 I believe the 763Sf would be best choice.  I am bringing back the 764SF. Paul Mueller loved this rod and pushed me to bring it back. It will be a Signature Series for him. I will not have this model for 3-4 months. This rod will be in Champion Series but action, balance, and feel will be identical to old DX 764 SF. Straight up....I'm going to use the old DX blank. Too good to try and redo. My margins will not be great but the rod will be :):)

THX!!!!!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fish_taco on January 07, 2022, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 07, 2022, 02:51:06 PM

In my searching, I found these two posts by Gary himself. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation, since these posts are a few years old now.

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on June 25, 2019, 01:17:47 PM

These two models are special so is 792SF. These were all old series DX blanks. When I needed to add longer spins to Champion line I didn't want to remake blanks when I had surefire hits from older DX. On the 732 and 733, they were old 7'4" rods. so I cut 1/2" off the butt to get to 7' 3 1/2" (Called 7'3" models) and the 792 blank, I left as is. These are now in Champion line. I took big hit in margins but the rods are exceptional.

Also, I agree the best all around CB rod would be a 705CB. THX!!

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on April 23, 2018, 12:21:54 PM
The 763SF has a touch more power than the 733SF. Since you mention the 764 I believe the 763Sf would be best choice.  I am bringing back the 764SF. Paul Mueller loved this rod and pushed me to bring it back. It will be a Signature Series for him. I will not have this model for 3-4 months. This rod will be in Champion Series but action, balance, and feel will be identical to old DX 764 SF. Straight up....I'm going to use the old DX blank. Too good to try and redo. My margins will not be great but the rod will be :):)

THX!!!!!

Thanks. That's great information to have. Added to my notes!  8)

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Gwamba

That is from 2018 but is still very applicable today...Thanks Smallie Stalker!
Only the 732 733 and 764 are made with Extreme blanks in the XP line. Almost no fishability difference between the 2021 DC and DX 764sf ... Gary could no longer get the Fuji chrome guide sets, so the new DX rods have black guide sets.
Rapala  Strike King

ohiobass

Quote from: Gwamba on January 06, 2022, 12:42:03 PM
I've been with Dobyns for 15 years and have fished all the spin rods mentioned...The current DC 733sf was a gen 1 DX 744sf that Gary trimmed an inch off, speeding up the action.

actually, he cut 1/2" off of the butt section, not 1" off the tip. I own two 733sf's, and they are not really that fast of an action. They load fairly fast..... quote from an old post from Gary:

"Thanks for a great write up on DC 733SF. This rod is a tiny bit slower than the new DX 743SF. BUT, this rod blank is my older DX blank (the Chameleon Brown/green one that was DX 743SF. I knocked 1/2" off the butt and call it a Champ 733SF)"

Gwamba

Thank you...My memory failed me  :surrender:
I agree...The Fury spin blanks may be faster according to Gary. I built my own bend board some years ago and it is very revealing to see that the builds, even within the same rod line vary a lot. The fastest loading spin rod per my board is the DRX 723
Rapala  Strike King

ShimmyDobs21

I think you'll like the 733 for heavy finesse all purpose spinning rod.

ohiobass

I own a DC 764SF, two DC 733SF's, and a DC 732SF. The 733SF's are super versatile rods! That's why I own 2. They can fish anything from 1/16oz to 1/2oz comfortably. I use them for wacky rigs, neko rigs, tubes, and 2.8-3.3" swimbaits, Tube crackin, and sometimes deeper drop shotting. AWESOME AWESOME rod! The 764SF is going to be used for deeper tube dragging up on Erie, and fishing 3.3-4.8" swimbaits on Lake Erie. The 732 is for neds, drop shot, light grubs & plastics , and light hair/marabou jigs (this rod is also VERY versatile for light stuff 3/16oz, maybe 1/4oz at most, and under!). I'm really looking forward to using the DC 764SF, I think its going to be a big part of my hunt for slaunch smallies up on Erie. If so, I'll be shopping for another 764SF. 8)

ohiobass

also, BIG headsup.....Dobyns site just clearenced some Boom Boom rods, that are built on Champion blanks, for $139.99 with free shipping. AND the 743SF is one of the models. According to Gary Dobyns, the Fred Boom Boom series are not the old DX blank. They are built on a different blank. And have a tad more faster load & power than the DC 733SF(according to Gary,  the Boom Boom's are built in a different facility). Attached is a reply from Gary about the Boom Boom 743SF and the DC733SF

Dink Dawg

fish_taco

Anyone that has both a 733sf and 764sf, can you tell me how long the handles are compared to each other?

Tackle Warehouse lists the 764 with a shorter handle than the 733. Doesn't sound right to me, but who knows?

Very rarely do they list incorrect specs, but it does happen. They even list the 764sf as 1/4-3/4 oz, vs 1/4-1oz on the dobyns site.

ohiobass

Quote from: fish_taco on January 17, 2022, 10:41:47 PM
Anyone that has both a 733sf and 764sf, can you tell me how long the handles are compared to each other?

Tackle Warehouse lists the 764 with a shorter handle than the 733. Doesn't sound right to me, but who knows?

Very rarely do they list incorrect specs, but it does happen. They even list the 764sf as 1/4-3/4 oz, vs 1/4-1oz on the dobyns site.

I own both, I'll have to look tonight and get back. 8)

fish_taco

Thanks ohiobass!   :)

ohiobass

Quote from: fish_taco on January 17, 2022, 10:41:47 PM

My DC 732sf, 733sf & 764sf all have exact same length of full cork handles.