Tools of the trade ( Weedless Spoons)

Started by Donald Garner, September 23, 2023, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

I made a stop at Academy and picked up some additional tools.  After reading the postings on Jigging Spoons and watching Dale Vert's video of Spoon Fishing.  I talked with Dale and I'm going to give them a try.  I'll be adding spinnerbait skirts and or soft plastic trailers to these baits.  I've not fished these types of baits here in Texas as of date.  I'll keep ya posted on the results once I get back out of the water.

Academy H2OX Weedless Spoons

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Looking forward to your thoughts Don.

I've never used a spinnerbait skirt on this type of spoon before. I usually use a double tail grub or the larger size of the Mr. Twister Split Double Tail as a trailer, but I've also used various worm styles as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

The old "Hula Popper" skirt is hard to beat. I've used just about everything.

Stout rod. Heavy braid. And a strong back, 'cuz you're fixin' to get YANKED.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

Those spoons look like clones of the Silver Minnow, they should work great. If they're not rusted up I should still have a few, I'll replenish the stock when it's  time. I use them all post spawn till late fall.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FlatsNBay

Oldfart9999

We don't have redfish here, the nearest salt water is about 300 miles. New York Harbor and Long Island Sound, I wouldn't mind try the sound someday, I hear the fishing is excellent.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

The Johnson Silver Minnow spoon produced for me at the last Guntersville Rally. Pulling it through the submerged grass worked when nothing else did.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

njpaulc

The old flat living rubber skirts worked well on weedless spoons.  A swimming chunk style of trailer should work well too.  I always liked an Uncle Josh #11 pork frog.

Wizard

I used them for pond bass much of my life. My last trip to fish in the Deep South was in the late 1980's. I took a bunch on the trip to fish weeds and pads. I caught bass but also gators. Eventually, the gators got all my Silver Minnows.

Wizard

SenkoSam

Always used the Johnson Silver Minnow spoon with a pork frog trailer until I started making my own in soft plastic. Never added a skirt to one. Bet it adds a sashay that bass would attack.

bigjim5589

I've got several Silver Minnows in different colors & sizes, and some copies in other brands and they all work fine. I had mentioned in recent Spoon post, I liked using the thin pork strips with them, and also the old Black Widow pork eel.

From what I've seen of other lures from Academy, you've made a good choice.

The only issue with the Silver Minnow is the hooks aren't sharp, so have to be sharpened. Hopefully Academy's version is improved!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Ice Cold Peanuts

Don't hesitate to put a strip of rabbit fur on the back of that spoon. Really adds to the action.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?