Guntersville Rally

Started by Nutt, November 03, 2022, 07:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutt

Has the famed Guntersville Rally been shucked?  I was hoping to make one of these, especially since I gave up hunting for a while.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Bud Kennedy

The Guntersville Rally events were a lot of fun.  However I am not sure all of the restraining orders have been lifted to allow us to have another one.  LOL

Princeton_Man

I'm looking forward to fishing Guntersville again, rally or not. Since our most proactive rally organizer (Lee Smith) was benched for health reasons, putting one together may not be as smooth. Our first Guntersville rally had about 6 members turn out, but it was like we all had known each other our whole lives. Everyone shared one cabin and got along great. We formed a very special bond at that rally and each year after, the rally it got larger. Lee's health and Covid kinda messed things up a bit.

I See another Guntersville rally in our future. Hell, I might even attempt to organize it myself if my work ever slows down.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Of Course pending time Laurie and I are always in  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

caddyjoe77

i am always in -- what about one in the spring?  Although i seem to recall ths idea has been kicked around before but people are too busy in the spring due to family events and breaking cabin fever. 

Fall is still a great time.  The one week in september was a blast that I was home and able to get on the water every day.  October is still "the time" though.  September can always be so iffy with the fake fall that tends to roll in then leave as we have experienced
BeerMe

Princeton_Man

I'd still love to try Spring again. A few of us tried a Staff Spring retreat one year, Guntersville got 8 inches of snow that week and subfreezing temps. The following week would have been awesome.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 20, 2022, 01:50:49 PM
I'd still love to try Spring again. A few of us tried a Staff Spring retreat one year, Guntersville got 8 inches of snow that week and subfreezing temps. The following week would have been awesome.

when looking at spring time here... couple things to keep in mind:
1.  late april/early May would be 'best'.  early april 'looks' good.  but water's typically still a bit cold... and guntersville does catch plenty of wind.  further, guntersville is a bit of a 'cool' spot.
2.  April 15 is when they start letting upstream lakes fill... so current can slow down a bit as far as mainlake flow rates.

first half of May would be 'best time' to look.  if you're asking me...
lo

caddyjoe77

yea, i remember that one -- had to work last minute stuff but at least the shine kept you warm  lo
BeerMe

caddyjoe77

Quote from: coldfront on November 20, 2022, 04:24:52 PM

when looking at spring time here... couple things to keep in mind:
1.  late april/early May would be 'best'.  early april 'looks' good.  but water's typically still a bit cold... and guntersville does catch plenty of wind.  further, guntersville is a bit of a 'cool' spot.
2.  April 15 is when they start letting upstream lakes fill... so current can slow down a bit as far as mainlake flow rates.

first half of May would be 'best time' to look.  if you're asking me...
lo

you oughta mke it down this year. 

correct on April.  really depends on how much wind and weird weather folks want to endure. 

also, guntersville is controlled at a drop/refill of 18 inches (didnt realize that until i moved here) so while that can still make tree stumps pop up its generally a safe run jsut about anywhere unless you try some windy creeks -- dont ask me how i know  lo

but May is definitely a damn fine time too.  All the way to end of June is a damn fine time with the post spawners running around hangry
BeerMe

Princeton_Man

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on November 20, 2022, 10:49:54 PM

yea, i remember that one -- had to work last minute stuff but at least the shine kept you warm  lo
Good thing we had plenty of it to thaw us out. We were trying to beat everyone to the fat girls and weather there was looking awesome. Rick and I were running from a Winter storm that was headed our way and while there were no accusations, I think it followed us, actually, it beat us there. We were determined to fish, we did, and had a great time. Rod choices were limited, braid would freeze on the reels and microguides would ice up on the first retrieve. No one could have tried any harder that weekend. It was really hard to leave knowing the forecast for the following days. I remember FB posts the following week showing some of the monsters being pulled out of Gunterville. That hurt just a little. 

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on November 20, 2022, 10:52:57 PM
you oughta mke it down this year. 
I generally take the last week of april and first week of may off to chase 'em.  gives me access to days of the week NOT FRI/SAT ... and I can usually find places to go to stay away from the big tournaments.
as for 'making it down'... I sure ought to.   it's just a short drive (little over an hour)...

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 21, 2022, 05:23:23 AM
Quote from: caddyjoe77 on November 20, 2022, 10:49:54 PM

yes, i got the winter storm when i had to travel to DC which is why i missed the whole shindig to begin with.  So, it got all of us....

Good thing we had plenty of it to thaw us out. We were trying to beat everyone to the fat girls and weather there was looking awesome. Rick and I were running from a Winter storm that was headed our way and while there were no accusations, I think it followed us, actually, it beat us there. We were determined to fish, we did, and had a great time. Rod choices were limited, braid would freeze on the reels and microguides would ice up on the first retrieve. No one could have tried any harder that weekend. It was really hard to leave knowing the forecast for the following days. I remember FB posts the following week showing some of the monsters being pulled out of Gunterville. That hurt just a little.
BeerMe

caddyjoe77

well, whats the story? 

Are we gonna do this again? 
BeerMe

Princeton_Man

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on April 02, 2023, 09:03:48 AM
well, whats the story? 

I'm game! ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 02, 2023, 02:48:04 PM
well, whats the story? 

started a main thread in Gen Discussion -- its been too long.
I'm game! ~c~
BeerMe

coldfront

well, whats the story? 

I'm game! ~c~
there are currently two similar threads going here. 

if you folks want to start the ball, and we can decide on a time...  I'll commit to being a part and try to be of some help.  but when the clock strikes JUNE, my work takes off and keeps me hopping until late Sep...

that 'other thread' talks a bit about scheduling demands/needs.  I've asked for clarity around what that all entails...  can't figure it to be too hard.

looks like one of these ought to get done before all the old guys get too old!?!

caddyjoe77

Quote from: coldfront on April 03, 2023, 12:39:17 PM
well, whats the story? 

I'm game! ~c~
there are currently two similar threads going here. 

if you folks want to start the ball, and we can decide on a time...  I'll commit to being a part and try to be of some help.  but when the clock strikes JUNE, my work takes off and keeps me hopping until late Sep...

that 'other thread' talks a bit about scheduling demands/needs.  I've asked for clarity around what that all entails...  can't figure it to be too hard.

looks like one of these ought to get done before all the old guys get too old!?!

i only put it there because more folks might see it -- if it gets going we can move it back here
BeerMe

Nutt

Im having back surgery in a couple of weeks, so if its in the fall, I MIGHT be able to make it, depending on recovery.  Its not a small surgery, but I may be back on feet pretty quickly.  I will know something in a few weeks.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Princeton_Man

I haven't found the other thread on this with those who signed up. I may be bringing a member of our Wasr River Amateur Radio Club along.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

caddyjoe77

BeerMe