$ $ Saving Soft Jerkbait Rigging tip!

Started by Capt. BassinLou, May 04, 2024, 09:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Soft jerkbaits are one of the top soft plastics fishing baits in my neck woods responsible for catching good quality and quantity amount of large mouth and peacock bass.

However, when throwing these baits using traditional rigging methods, i.e., the t-rig. These baits will have a tendency to tear up very quickly. Especially during a hot bite!

I began using the nose hook method not so long ago, and it has saved me $$ rigging the soft jerkbait this way. My catch to bait ratio is higher. Meaning I'm catching more fish per bait versus the t-rig method.

There is a catch, though. The nose rig method works great in an open water scenario.

Throwing this method around visible and submerged vegetation is not as effective due to the exposed hook snagging on everything.

As far as the baits action. This method gives the bait a different action due to the fact that the bait will swivel around on the hook.

So if you're in to saving a few bucks and looking to try something new. I recommend fishing the soft jerk bait this way on your next outing.

Thanks for reading.

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for sharing that tip with us.  What size / type of hook is that you're using on this setup?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Donald Garner on May 04, 2024, 10:50:34 AMLou, tks for sharing that tip with us.  What size / type of hook is that you're using on this setup?
Thanks, Donald. I'm using a 5/0 finesse wacky Gamakatsu hook.

big g

I have also done this in open waters.  But in weeds I have used the the same size hook with the weed guard wire that tucks  under the barb.  This has worked for me but always weightless and not as good with pad fields because of the V in the pad.  But I lose more flukes this way because of Oscars nipping the fluke.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

chrisD46

Even better - install a Owner Centering Pin (medium size) in the super fluke nose until the top is slightly under the soft plastic nose then install the hook through the soft plastic and top of the centering pin . https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_CPS_Centering_Pin_Spring/descpage-OCPSS.html ; 1/0 Finesse Nose Hook : https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Finesse_Wide_Gap_Hooks/descpage-GFWGH.html?from=tbassin

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 12, 2024, 10:44:50 AMEven better - install a Owner Centering Pin in the super fluke nose until the top is slightly under the soft plastic nose then install the hook through the soft plastic and top of the centering pin . https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_CPS_Centering_Pin_Spring/descpage-OCPSS.html
Tx! I have to try that one, too.

chrisD46

Using the Owner centering pin (M or L) screwed into the nose of the Fluke will save on baits - I would even add a drop of gel super glue on the Owner centering screw as you are screwing it into the head of the Fluke for an even more sturdy set up .