Making My Own Spinnerbaits

Started by fishballer06, June 26, 2019, 08:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

I've decided that I'm going to start building my own spinnerbaits. However, I was wondering... Besides the obvious things, what other equipment/parts/etc would you recommend are a must have/must try item when getting into building spinnerbaits?

Thanks.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

SteelHorseCowboy

Hobby Lobby has these plier type gadgets that help you make perfect, tight circular bends in wire.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

fishballer06

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 26, 2019, 08:29:14 AM
Hobby Lobby has these plier type gadgets that help you make perfect, tight circular bends in wire.

I saw those for sale on the LurePartsOnline website. I planned on buying a pair. I'm guessing that getting efficient and good at making those bends is the hardest part of building a spinnerbait.

Smallie_Stalker

Depends on how much you want to spend. Several places have wire bending jigs that vary in price.

I assume you're gonna pour your own heads and most of those same places sell molds for different types. Some type of baitfish or a bullet style seem to sell the most.

If yo are gonna use rubber collars there are pliers out there for that too but they can get tricky. Barlow's tackle sells a skirt making machine  that let's you open the collar and then keep your hands free to line up the skirt layers inside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fishballer06

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 26, 2019, 09:31:46 AM
Depends on how much you want to spend. Several places have wire bending jigs that vary in price.

I assume you're gonna pour your own heads and most of those same places sell molds for different types. Some type of baitfish or a bullet style seem to sell the most.

If yo are gonna use rubber collars there are pliers out there for that too but they can get tricky. Barlow's tackle sells a skirt making machine  that let's you open the collar and then keep your hands free to line up the skirt layers inside.

I don't plan on doing any lead pouring (yet). There seems to be a lot of prefab'd  jigs out there with the wire's already in them for very reasonable prices. So I'm going to mess with those and put the hardware/skirts on them that I want.

I've been eyeballing the skirt making materials and colors out there and dreaming up all sorts of color combos. I'm probably just going to buy some premade skirts for now, but I imagine I'll eventually get into making my own skirts. I'm one who prefers a wire tied skirt over a rubber collar, so that's something else to look forward to for me.

Oldfart9999

Sorry to get here so late!!! Jann's Netcraft and Barlows sell wireforms already poured in different sizes along with the swivels for the blades and other pieces for mounting the blades, they have the wire bending pliers, skirting tools and skirts or preformed skirts. You can use enamal paint for the lead body, powder coating is best but that's a whole 'nother ball game because of the equipment to do it. Let us know what you do and some pics would be good also.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

Well, I got everything in yesterday and I sat down and made my first spinnerbait last night before bed. I quickly learned that forming that loop at the end for the swivel/blade is going to take some practice.

Now that I got everything, I'm already thinking of other things that I want to try out.

Oldfart9999

It can be an addictive hobby.
Rodney

bigjim5589

I'm a little late to this post too! 

fishballer06, congratulations on getting this itch & joining the addiction!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Please post some photo's when you can! We all enjoy seeing hand made tackle, and what everyone's imagination can bring!  ;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Cuervo Jones

Agree that photos would be great. Remember the bass don't care how pretty a lure is. That's mostly for anglers. Bass eat some pretty ugly things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quit reading this and go fishing!

Oldfart9999

Anybody thinking about getting into making their own baits, jigs, spinnerbaits and others like them there is a pinned thread about making lead baits. I would suggest going through it and if you have questions ask them you'll get good advice. It can be a very relaxing way to load your tackle box during the off season and you can make colors to experiment with.
Rodney

fishballer06

I got out this weekend and tested out my baits. I'm happy to report that all of my 3/8 and 1/2oz spinnerbaits run straight and true and look great in the water. I'm expecting a bunch of skirt material to show up this week and I can't wait to see what all I can come up with.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: fishballer06 on July 22, 2019, 08:28:11 AM
I got out this weekend and tested out my baits. I'm happy to report that all of my 3/8 and 1/2oz spinnerbaits run straight and true and look great in the water. I'm expecting a bunch of skirt material to show up this week and I can't wait to see what all I can come up with.
~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney