Shimano spinning reel

Started by bucketmouth 87, December 30, 2018, 05:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth 87

I just purchased a dobyns 702 and I'm looking for a Shimano spinning reel for dropshot and finesse.  It's been years since I have bought a spinning reel, most recent have all been casting.  I want to stay below $200.  What do you guys recomend?  Do you guys stay at the 2500 size ? 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

You can get lots of fine spinning reels well below $200. If I had my heart set on Shimano, I'd probably go with a Sahara or Sedona. Sure I'd like to have a Stella or Exsence but, that's crazy. I'm not looking to impress anyone with my reels.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Terry G

My Sahara 2500 handles my RED FISH and they are stronger than bass

BrandonK

Sedona available in a 6.2:1 with a pretty high IPT, if fast retrieves are a concern

Sc Bassin

I have the 2500 size Stradic & it does evert thing that Shimano says it will but it's at the top of your price point at $199 at T/W.

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: BrandonK on December 30, 2018, 06:35:33 PM
Sedona available in a 6.2:1 with a pretty high IPT, if fast retrieves are a concern
As I'm researching I saw that.  That is definitely a big plus for me !

muzz

Do you maintain your own gear?Maybe look to see if you can lube it yourself without a PHD in the reel in question.

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: muzz on December 31, 2018, 12:35:39 AM
Do you maintain your own gear?Maybe look to see if you can lube it yourself without a PHD in the reel in question.
That is a very good point !

Mike Cork

I only use one spinning reel, literally I only have one. For me, I like to keep my finger on the line, especially for any kind of soft plastic presentation (drop shot included). The Spirex has an anti reverse system that allows the reel to spin backwards until the line hold is at the top of the reel. It's really so that the angler can grab the line and the release trigger at the same time to make a cast. But it allows me to grab the line with my index finger and just hold it so I can feel the line waiting for a bass to grab my offering. 

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bucketmouth 87

I'm really thinking the Sahara 3000 is a hard to beat.  From what I have read it look like it is the same is as the 2500 in terms of body frame but it has a larger spool.  The main reason I would want. To jump to the 3000 over the 2500 is for the increased gear ratio, which goes from 5:0:1 to  6.2:1.  Does anyone have the Sahara FI 3000 ?