Spinning reel line twist

Started by Dark3, April 24, 2023, 05:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Dark3 on May 21, 2023, 07:35:13 AM
Quote from: Pat Dilling on April 28, 2023, 08:42:27 PM
Using 15-20 lb braided line, with a12 lb leader of fluorocarbon or mono leader, will make your life, and your wife/kids life so much better. Use a 6 to 12 foot leader. In the long run braid is cheaper, it will last a couple years. If you opt for yellow or high vis green they will be able to see it better. Another plus is they will feel more bites and catch more fish.  Look on YouTube for videos on tying an Alberto knot to join the braid to flouro or mono. Easy to learn and very strong.
Do you have any issues with the knot hitting the eyelets, especially on a micro guide rod? I think Im going to give this a try today. You fish like this for your BC reels also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would recommend the FG knot versus the Alberto especially if you are considering throwing it on a micro guide rod. The Alberto knot is a good knot. I threw it for years. But it's bulky compared to the Fg.

Dark3

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 21, 2023, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: Dark3 on May 21, 2023, 07:35:13 AM
Quote from: Pat Dilling on April 28, 2023, 08:42:27 PM
Using 15-20 lb braided line, with a12 lb leader of fluorocarbon or mono leader, will make your life, and your wife/kids life so much better. Use a 6 to 12 foot leader. In the long run braid is cheaper, it will last a couple years. If you opt for yellow or high vis green they will be able to see it better. Another plus is they will feel more bites and catch more fish.  Look on YouTube for videos on tying an Alberto knot to join the braid to flouro or mono. Easy to learn and very strong.
Do you have any issues with the knot hitting the eyelets, especially on a micro guide rod? I think Im going to give this a try today. You fish like this for your BC reels also?

I would recommend the FG knot versus the Alberto especially if you are considering throwing it on a micro guide rod. The Alberto knot is a good knot. I threw it for years. But it's bulky compared to the Fg.
Nice. Thanks, I will check that out.

chrisD46

Preventing spinning reel line twist : Short answer is use #10 lb. to #20 lb. braid main line .
1. With a Berkley spooling machine (or someone holding the line spool with a pencil through it) have the line come off of the bottom .
2. Do not use Mono or FC line larger than .010" (#8lb. test) on a spinning reel.
3. Close the spinning reel bail by hand after each cast pulling the line taught before closing the bail .

Rusty63

Quote from: chrisD46 on May 22, 2023, 06:29:27 AM
Preventing spinning reel line twist : Short answer is use #10 lb. to #20 lb. braid main line .
1. With a Berkley spooling machine (or someone holding the line spool with a pencil through it) have the line come off of the bottom .
2. Do not use Mono or FC line larger than .010" (#8lb. test) on a spinning reel.
3. Close the spinning reel bail by hand after each cast pulling the line taught before closing the bail .
I use mono line on a lot of my spinning reels I usually go by the line capacities listed on the side of the spool  for line sizing. Never really had a problem doing that. I totally agree with you about fc line I have only had success with it on a baitcaster.

Dark3

First crack at these FG Knots. Had to use my foot on the leader on the floor to keep it from flipping around the mainline while wrapping it. They seem strong. Did 3 half hitches to finish it like I seen in some videos which is suspect but it seems secure.

jwkelley51

Dark3...Google "shin knot". I use 10 wraps with 14 lb leader and 14/15 with 8 and 10. The wraps are easy once you start spinning with your thumb. If I pull off a stuck shakey head it always comes off at the lure....couple of times a day.  I use a double pitzen there. Big thing is wet it and pull slowly.