Shimano Variable Braking System

Started by BamaCoast, January 25, 2009, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaCoast

Is there a perfect setting on the vbs system or is it best to adjust with every lure weight change?
Kenny

This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him

Mike Cork

Some folks believe there is. I personally will change my brakes quite a bit depending on bait size and wind conditions. The brake systems is there to help you better control your spool so why not use it.

Many folks will set just to brakes out or non at all and use their thumb to control all the condition changes after that.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ReelKnights

Hey Bamacoast,

So I have two Shimanos, the core and the curado, which both have the VBS system on them. The setting that usually works the best for me is just two turned to the on position on opposite sides of each other. I usually leave it like this unless I notice that I am backlashing farther out in my cast which means the spool isn't slowing down so then just click one more on and you should be fine; I haven't ever needed 4 but if you fish a bait that is catching in the wind then just try it, see what works for you depending on how much you thumb your spool.

Also, and you may know this, but I just figured I'd post it, if you are backlashing earlier just turn the cast control up a little to where when you free spool your reel your bait moves slowly to the ground (the knob usually on the right behind the drag adjuster).

Hope this helps, Good luck
Vince

BamaCoast

Quote from: ReelKnights on January 26, 2009, 08:16:12 PM
Hey Bamacoast,

So I have two Shimanos, the core and the curado, which both have the VBS system on them. The setting that usually works the best for me is just two turned to the on position on opposite sides of each other. I usually leave it like this unless I notice that I am backlashing farther out in my cast which means the spool isn't slowing down so then just click one more on and you should be fine; I haven't ever needed 4 but if you fish a bait that is catching in the wind then just try it, see what works for you depending on how much you thumb your spool.

Also, and you may know this, but I just figured I'd post it, if you are backlashing earlier just turn the cast control up a little to where when you free spool your reel your bait moves slowly to the ground (the knob usually on the right behind the drag adjuster).

Hope this helps, Good luck
Vince

Two on is my normal setting. I usually never change this setting and it appears that I could fine tune it for different baits. I think I will experiment more and see what happens. Thanks for the advice Mike and Vince.
Kenny

This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him

denis

Easy way to tell about brakes is

Fish=friction, if you cast and dont get a backlass till the bait is close to the fish ( out there) then its the friction knob
Begining=Brakes.  If you cast and its starts right away you are not thumbing enough or need to work brakes.

I go no brakes for flipping and 2ish depending on wind.

For my shimano I put 3 red and 3 green on.  The green ones are a bit stouter than the red.

I can cast my cores a long ways with no thumb.

Mike Cork

Word of caution on using your cast control knob....

Over tightening of this knob puts excess pressure on the spool which in turn is damaging it. There is a phenolic spacer on the VBS end of the spool and a brass spacer on the knob end that help protect the spool shaft ends, however over time and with to much pressure both of these will wear into the spool shaft end and cause gouges that cause friction and will actually slow the spool down.

Once this happens the spool shaft ends will have to be polished or the spool with have to be replaced.

Optimum setting of the spool shaft knob is to back it off until the spool will slide side to side, then tighten it back up until it just stops sliding side to side. From here you can go one quarter turn either way and be safe.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

den720

Mike is right on with his answer...if you dont belive that the cast control will damage a spool I have a curado at my shop, customer used it to troll for striper's and always left the cast control tight ( and I mean tight ) mushroomed the spool shaft to the point the spool will not slide thru bearing to take apart.....Dennis