Small closed face reel with a fast retrieve ???

Started by Doug C, April 19, 2010, 10:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug C

Hey folks, I would really love to get my son a new reel for buzzfrogs and buzzbaits. He's only 7 years old though so the smaller the better and because of the need for a fast retrieve it needs to have a high gear ratio. Is there anything on the market like that at all ?

Doug C

Joshawa

After some digging the best gear ratio I can find on a spin casting reel is 4.3. Is there any chance you can teach him how to use a spinning reel? If you move up to a spinning reel you will have a wider range of options.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

Doug C

well yea, heck he can almost handle a baitcaster believe it or not.. but after a while it becomes clear that he has a few years on that yet. So a spinning reel would definately be an option. I didn't bring it up because with the close faced reel there would be zero learning to it and so it would be just that much easier. Besides it would mean that I'd have to invest in a new rod for it too. Also with the spin cast reels he would have to get used to the upsidedown configuration of it, and flipping the bail but not a big deal. I don't own one and know very little about them, Is there one that's on the small side and has a fast retrieve that you could recommend ? thanks

Doug C 

Joshawa

Well, Shimano makes quality spinning reels, and they make one for almost every budget. I will recommend the Sahara because I own one and have had no problems, It goes for about $80. My wife uses a Sedona and that was about $60.

In terms of size they run from a 500 up to a 4000 with the 500 being very small (perfect for light lines, panfish) and the 4000 being quite large. I use the 2500 and spool it up with 10 lb braid, its perfect for shakeyhead/finesse applications. But can easily handle 40 - 50 lb power pro/ 15 lb mono - Which you may want to go with for buzzbaits/frogs.

The 2500 is a medium sized reel with a 6.2 ratio, which should be fine for what you want. The 1000 is a smaller reel but only has a 5.6 ratio... So you may be forced to chose between a smaller size or a higher gear ratio. IMO the 2500 would be fine for a child to use as long as you pair it up with a rod that they can easily handle, maybe a 6' or 6'6".

Just make sure you have him try it out before you go ahead and buy it. Both of the Shimanos I mentioned come in boxes as opposed to blister packs so you can take them out screw them on to a rod and get a feel for them before you make your final decision.

Hope that Helps!
-Josh

Dan1962

Daiwa has a Spincast reel the Silvercast-A  SC170A  that has a Line rec of 29.4  Thats Pretty Close to   Most 7.1:1 Bait casters   Not sure how large the reel is .

Doug C

Great, great info guys.. very helpfull !! I think this will probably be the way we go. As always there's plenty to think about. I actually think he'd prefer one of these over the zebcos type reels anyway because it'll seem like a more mature setup to him, and I suppose it is a step in that direction. Thanks again ya'll..

Doug C

Joshawa

I think I was 5 when my dad gave me an old Diawa spinning reel. The bail spring was junk but it was good enough to learn.

Kids learn fast, and if you are going to spend some money getting a decent rig, you might as well get something he can grow into and continue to use. Rather than outgrow and leave on the shelf. 
-Josh

islandbass

Quote from: Doug C on April 19, 2010, 03:39:15 PM
well yea, heck he can almost handle a baitcaster believe it or not.. but after a while it becomes clear that he has a few years on that yet. So a spinning reel would definately be an option. I didn't bring it up because with the close faced reel there would be zero learning to it and so it would be just that much easier. Besides it would mean that I'd have to invest in a new rod for it too. Also with the spin cast reels he would have to get used to the upsidedown configuration of it, and flipping the bail but not a big deal. I don't own one and know very little about them, Is there one that's on the small side and has a fast retrieve that you could recommend ? thanks

Doug C 

He is definitely ready for a spinning reel. A size 20 spool would be ideal.  With that said, he is, if he's willing more than ready for a casting reel.

My daughter is now ten but started using spinning reels at 5 1/2 and a casting reel at six.  She has gotten hooked on finesse techniques now, particularly drop shotting so she has gone back to spinning reels.

Targetting salmon at 5 1/2, and that's a spinning setup. I love the concentration on her face.

Drop shotting for smallies.

Jiggin' for salmon in the salt with a round casting reel and 8'6" rod.

To your subject, I don't think there are "fast" spin casters out there that will fill your need, but I second the recommendation for him to learn to use a spinning reel. Despite their "low" gear ratios, they can recover as much if not more line than "burner" high speed casting reels.

All he needs is your encouragement and support. Kids learn quickly.

ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Doug C

Awesome pics islandbass, you should be proud. I agree that they learn fast, I was surprised how well my son handled the baitcaster. He made good casts with it and did not birdnest near as often as I thought he would. There were some backlashes that slowed (us) down though and that he would not have a clue how to remove on his own, so when he gets a little better at handleing those, then I'll definately spend whatever it takes to get him a good one. Maybe another year or so. Thanks for posting those pics, your daughter looks way more comfortable with a rod/reel than most of the people I see beating the banks. Oh and thanks for the "size 20" tip, that's the kind of info that I need to start with.

Doug C

islandbass

Right on, Doug! Then I will share this with you. This is the only thing I told her when she tried it for the first time.  Of course, I set the reel to the lure's weight, but this all I told her. I also told this to a friend who never ever used a bait cast reel too and after I said that, he didn't make a single bird's nest the rest of the day.

I told her as she depressed the thumb bar and held the spool down, "No matter what happens, you must stop the spool from spinning with your thumb BEFORE the lure hits the water or anything else. It doesn't matter how you stop the spool. You just have to stop it from spinning."

Her first cast was successful and I couldn't believe what she said immediately after that cast. She said, "Papi! This reel is so much easier to use than the other (spinning reel) kind."

The only thing I can say to that is, that's my little girl!
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Doug C

Quote from: islandbass on April 21, 2010, 01:41:58 AM
"No matter what happens, you must stop the spool from spinning with your thumb BEFORE the lure hits the water or anything else. It doesn't matter how you stop the spool. You just have to stop it from spinning."

Short and to the point - I like it !

Doug C