SHimano Q

Started by Schulze, December 24, 2005, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schulze

Did the cruxis replace the regular curado? Looking in the 06 BPS master catalogue they do not list a Curado anymore but they have the NEW curado D

topcat

Schulze...I read your post but I know very little about Shimano reels....Sorry I can't help you.....this is the right place to post your question....just the wrong man to answer the post.....I am sure someone will answer your question...good luck and happy fishing

Topcat

OHbassaholic

That is correct, Schulze.  And the re-engineered Citica will replace the Curado SF.  The prices that I have seen are around $100 and $120.

Schulze

the Curado SF was the tuned model right? I only have 1 shimano and it is a Chronarch 50 MG. Need to get some more reels but not sure if I want to risk a first year reel.

OHbassaholic

I understand your thoughts completely.  I really don't like to grab first runs either.  The only person I know that has one of the new Curados is "Mike".  He spoke of it in the "Shimano Upgrades their line-up of reels" thread here in the Casting Deck forum.
If it weren't for my just buying a bassboat recently, this reel could well have been the first one I bought that was initial run.  It sounds like a beauty.

Mike Cork

The new Curado D is a sweet reel, they speed up the gear ratio which makes it even better for pitching, and pitching jigs is what I do most. The reel is so free that you have to use the brake system at first because you just are not used to such ease of delivery. They also added the swing away plate system, so that when accessing the brake pins you don't have to worry about dropping the cover. In my opinion they have made great strides in the reel, but they also jacked the price. I haven't got to play with a Citica yet but it is supposed to be as good as the Original Curado was. Also as you can tell by looking at it they have dropped the angle of the handle putting the cranking gears lower, which in turn allowed the to use a slightly larger gear giving you not only more retrieve speed but also giving you more power to get the horses out of cover.

Surely a marketing ploy here but they give you a better reel for it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Schulze

Thanks

I think I will end up with a couple of the BPS extreme reels to get some rods going. They are running up to 7.1 Rato now on them. I have one and love it for throwing a weightless fluke and crankbait.

BIG PAPA

Trey bought a citica D today and we played with it at the pond. I pitches as well as anything I have, real smooth. Can't speak for the endurance of course but is should be fine.
papa

LoonyToon

BPS has a sleabration going on right now and the Curado's are running $99.98 ea, but they have mostly left handed models left and some , what is it 3.8:1 ratios on the site........

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Warpath

I just wonder, could you buy a 5:1 or 3.8:1 reel and change the gears so it would be a 6.2:1?

Eric

Pferox

I dunno if I would want to change a 3.8:1, that is some crankin power, ok so you have to reel faster to pick up line.....but man that would be some horsepower in the slop. Wouldn't that be a pretty good gear for pitchin in to real heavy stuff?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Steve Barnett

I wonder that also, I'm currently going through my rods & reels deciding what I want to keep or replace this year and have a couple of the 3.8:1 Curados I don't want anymore.  They have only been used a couple of times and are just too slow for my cranking use. I'm sure someone on here will know if the gears can be changed out.  I know they can, I just don't know what all it takes to do it.

Steve Barnett
Booneville MS

Pferox

Hey Steve, if ya decide to sell em, let me know.
If I can afford em I would like to have a couple of those low geared reels for catfishin, and inshore salt.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Steve Barnett

pferox
I'll be glad to let you know when I sell.  I'll likely post a few items in the classified items section.  I know for sure I'm getting rid of one, but I'll let you know.

Thanks
Steve Barnett
Steve Barnett
Booneville MS

Pferox

I'll be watchin out for it...... ;)

OHbassaholic

I finally spooled up one of those Cruxis reels and put it on a rod for demo.  I have to say that I like it better than the original Curado bantams for underhand pitching.  Much better freespool.

I am looking forward to getting in some new Citica's to try.  Folks are going to like being able to get a SF around $120.

Ballistik

I purchased the Curado 200 SF with the Extreme rod last year and LOVE it. And as you already know its almost imposable to find a new 200SF anywhere so I got the Citica/ Extreme combo and it feels nice but its no 200SF. But also remember it was $60 less. I just got it for a back up rod and reel and it will definatly do that and then some.
Fish Now, Work Later !

conniek

yep, you can upgrade the curado gear ratio
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

topcat

Schulze...you mentioned buying some basspro extreme reels...I was just wondering have you tried them and if so...how do you like them..I would love to try out the 7.1:1...if you do get one...let me know what you think....

Topcat