New Curado D ans Cruxis replaces the Curado B

Started by hooked, January 02, 2006, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooked

Connie,

Have you had a chance to inspect the new Curado D and Cruxis reels ?

Shimano has "upgraded" the Curado to a new price mark of $199 and replaced the curado "B" line with the Cruxis at the $99 price mark. :'(

My perception is Shimano has doubled the price of one of its most popular reels and put a "New and Improved" a.k.a., "cheaper to make and doesn't perform as well as the older model" --the Cruxis, in its place.

I'd be very interested in you opinion of the new Shimano reels! ;)

Thanks!
So much to learn...such smart fish!

MotherNature

Hooked not sure about the Cruxis but the new Curado D is a very nice reel. Time will tell if it is going to hold up like the Curado B has...

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

LoonyToon

I thought it was to my understanding the new citica would replace the Bantam Curado and the cruxis would be reworked to move into the citica slot...From reports I've read from Shimano that is what was supposed to happen....the Citica was being introduced to fill the slot the curado had in their tackle line and the cruxis was introduced to be their low end reel............am I wrong?

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

CJ Basser8

Okuma-  I am pretty sure you are right.  Last year, the Citica was $99, and the Curado was $119.  Ths year, the Cruxis is $99 and the Citica is $119.....the Curado is unfortunantly $199.

i owuld have liked to see Shimano continue to make the regular green curado, along with the upgraded curado D.

hooked

So much to learn...such smart fish!

bass1cpr

Form my understanding the frame of the Curado D was changed to accept the bigger gears. The Citica in it's new form is suppose to be as smooth as the Curado B SF. Well see. I sure hope so.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Warpath

I was at the BPS in Cincinnati today and since it was so quiet there this morning, I got a chance to see the three new Shimanos.  I believe the Cruxis is the Curado w/o Super free, and the Citica is the SF version.  Pretty nice to only spend $119 on a SF model I think.  The Curado D will pick up 4 inches more line per revolution of the level wind, and it costs $80 more.  I guess if you are a fast fisherman, maybe that'll float your boat.  I'm sure it is a great reel.  Just don't know if it is worth the $80 more for this fisherman. 

I also got to handle (Pferox, notice I did not fondle the reel ;D) the new Viento from Diawa.  Different yes, necessary probably not.  The reel did not sit in my hand like I would want it to, and I had to reach for the twitchin' bar with my thumb.  It wasn't comfortable to me at all. 

I will say this, I ahven't owned a Quantum in 5 or so years, but that new PT is one fine looking reel.  I'm fairly sure that I won't spend $229 on one, but it is an eye catcher.

Eric

LoonyToon

Warpath check the BPS site if interested in a new reel. They have a sale-e-bration going on-guess they are trying to make room for 06

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

conniek

we will be the last to see thenew curadoD reels. Only after a time and out of warranty etc. However, i think the reel's weight is heavier  for me, that just won't work. Personally, I will stick withmy chron 100 as well.
Lots of folks are pretty unhappy with the doing away with the reg curado 200. I guess Shimano had to come up with a new marketing plan and products. ::) I am sorry I don't know more about the newbies, but  I will be anxious to see some when they finally get to me. ;D
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

OHbassaholic

We have the Cruxis in already and I have put together a demo unit.  I've got to tell y'all that I find it BETTER than the Curado B for pitching.  Much smoother reel even with 1 less BB.
I'm looking forward to getting in the other new models soon after inventory is over with.

BIG PAPA

Trey has the new Citica D and it is smooth, I have a new 200 superfree and they feel very similar when pitching.
papa

GotstaFish

Its my understanding that the new Castaic is the replacement for the Curado 200BSF. I have 8 200B's and 2 BSF's and I am trying to pick up some more of the B's but all I can find are 3.8:1's and lefties. If I were a lefty I could get the 6:1's for $69!!! ~xyz Lets hope they bring them back.... :'(

OHbassaholic

According to the Shimano site there are no changes to the Castaic SF.  The Citica has been upgraded to replace the Curado SF.

GotstaFish

The Castaic has been changed recently,it use to have a large metal hood on top and now it looks just like the Curado 200BSF just a differant color.The specs are also the same as the BSF with 4 bearings and one roller bearing. The Cruxis and Citica look nothing like the old Curados nor do they have the same specs. All I'm saying is if you want the same reel as the Curado 200BSF the Castaic is the closest match.

OHbassaholic

I agree in recently, as in I believe 2-3 years ago.  I bought 2 of the Castaic SFs after having used Castaic Bantams for a couple years.  It was kind of a pain getting used to the new configuration of the Instagauge II system. 

I personally like the Castaic SF better than the Curado SF.  I sold off my Curado SFs but still have Castaic SFs and Bantams.  I still need to check out the new Citica D to know whether it can be recommended as I would have the Curado SF. 

So far, I feel I can definitely recommend the Cruxis ($100) in place of the Curado Bantum of old ($120).  Folks would have to make their own decision to take the Citica D ($120) or Castaic SF ($170-$180) to replace the Curado SF of old ($150-$160).  I see the Castaic line outside of the others in that it has that Instaguage system.  In my mind, the best reel Shimano makes.