Upgraded to Lithium Trolling Motor Batteries! Install Process.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 11, 2024, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Nice job Lou. I only wish you weren't 3 1/2 hours away to help me with some of my projects! 😂

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 15, 2024, 07:28:27 PMNice job Lou. I only wish you weren't 3 1/2 hours away to help me with some of my projects! 😂

lo tx.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on February 16, 2024, 03:56:31 AMTest run today. Stay tuned.
Maybe instead of using the big motor to get to your fishing holes, you can make your run on the TM. :-*  You might need to leave a little earlier.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 16, 2024, 05:58:11 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on February 16, 2024, 03:56:31 AMTest run today. Stay tuned.
Maybe instead of using the big motor to get to your fishing holes, you can make your run on the TM. :-*  You might need to leave a little earlier.
Funny you said this. I'm currently eating lunch. But I have been on the TM all morning. Earlier I must have blocked my psi port, because my water pressure gauge is registering low. So I'm on a 3 mile stretch of water fishing with the TM towards the ramp. Lol!

Capt. BassinLou

But in case you're curious, here's my current battery status since fishing at 7am.

Capt. BassinLou

Wrapped up my outing. The batteries did fantastic. My old batteries were definitely fading. I adjusted my TM to my normal operating speed, which is around 55-60%, and I had to brace myself. Lol! In the last few outings with the lead batteries, at those same settings, the boat would barely move. At one point with the lithiums, I moved the dial to 70% to maneuver in some pads, and the TM shredded them. Lol!

Fished from 0630 to 1:30pm. The nose of the boat was in wind the whole time. The power setting was 55-60%, and these were the battery readings, right before I trailered and left.

With this bms system, I have to check each battery individually.

Not bad, right?

FlatsNBay

caddyjoe77

nice work, i have done this swap twice now, each time with something that went wrong :D

first time i stripped the screw on the bottom hole of the old charger -- had to call Pat on that one.  After a lot of cussing it went easy.  installed a stealth1 system along with a 36V lithium pros and a 12 volt for dedicated electronics.  turned out really nice.  This was in the Phoenix.

in the cat, my PP charge went haywire so i had to swap that out -- not fun but relatively easy if someone were a little younger.  Got it done, no stripped screws.  Took the lithium from the phoenix, installed and hooked up the new PP charge which works flawless. 

also have a 10A charger for the dedicated 100Ah electronics battery. 

also almost finished with a complete swap around of electronics in the cat which i will probably post later once complete. 

I also recommend taking photos of the wiring before hand so you have a reference point a couple hours later.  remember, double and triple check.  it only takes a few minutes to look and verify versus guess. 

BeerMe

Capt. BassinLou

In case anyone was wondering about the boats performance with the weight change. The boat did plane faster.

caddyjoe77

Also, maybe it wont matter on your boat but i might consider putting some marine grade silicone where the plug housing meets the boat material. 

If there was already a gasket maybe no worries but itll only take a second to put a bead of silicone.

If you did this already great! 
BeerMe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on February 17, 2024, 09:17:03 AMAlso, maybe it wont matter on your boat but i might consider putting some marine grade silicone where the plug housing meets the boat material. 

If there was already a gasket maybe no worries but itll only take a second to put a bead of silicone.

If you did this already great!

Appreciate the info, Joe. The housing does have a gasket.

Capt. BassinLou

10 hrs of hard fishing today. On the TM almost the whole time. Here was my battery status at the end of the outing.

Princeton_Man

Yup, that's been my experience. Really don't know how long the last. My BMS doesn't include a Bluetooth monitor. But after 8 hours on the water they are back to full in just a few hours of being plugged in.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club