Using frogs around lily pads (need help)

Started by Patrick little, April 22, 2024, 09:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick little

With the summer approaching I would like to learn more about top water fishing on a kayak, especially top water frog fishing. Right now the set up I have is a 7:4:1 reel, a 7 foot, medium heavy, fast action, and I'm using 30 pound line. The lake that I go to has thick lily pads in the back corner, and its about 2-4 feet deep. I live in Delaware so were just approaching spawn. Now, since I wanna throw top water this season what lures should I buy, what do you guys recommend, what should I upgrade for my setup, etc?

J.W.

The Spro 65 is always a go-to frog. It walks great and is a proven frog. I have also been trying out the Savage Gear frog lately and it is really good about coming through super-dense cover where brush/wood is involved because the hook tips are hidden by the body of the frog a bit better than they are on any other frog I've seen. It's more difficult to walk than the Spro is though.

I think most people will recommend some heavier braid (50-65 lb), but I have thrown them on 30 lb with no issues. Honestly, I kind of prefer the 30 lb personally.

Your rod and reel will work fine. Some people like to go to a heavy action with the rod and go to a faster gear ratio with the reel, but what you have will work.

Just be aware that your hookup ratio might seem like garbage at first. It's easy to see that blow-up and start setting the hook too soon. Give him a second before you set it. And if he blows up and misses the frog, keep the frog still. Sometimes they'll make a second attack on it.

Donald Garner

Patrick, welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here.

I concur with J.W. comments reference the use of braided line etc. and your rod setup.

Frog fishing can be exciting and frustrating all in the same moment.  Like mentioned you're going to have to let the fish swim with the bait just a little.  This will ensure he's got it in their mouth.

Top water blow up are great to see and their even better when you get the hook up done. 

Tight lines and good luck learning to frog fish.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Patrick little

Thank you for your feed back helps a lot, hope to get on some soon!

coldfront

JW:  good to see someone else 'comfortable' with 30lb braid.  I find it casts longer, and longer casts with frogs can be pretty important.

on setting the hook:  i know folks say 'wait'.  what I've found works really well for ME ... is to see the bass take the frog and quickly reel up any slack until the rod tip 'just loads' (I feel the fish weight) ... then set the hook.

it's often been said:  bass don't have hands... so it's not like I need to wait for them to transfer the bait to their mouth...  if the weight of the fish is there ... stick 'em.

I'd also suggest that if you wait too long, or take too long, they can at times spit it out.  but most often, they hit it with 'intent' and want to keep it.

frog fishing can quickly turn into a real passion.  have fun with it.  and be patient.  sometimes just letting the bait sit with small twitches that cause it to quiver can get the bite.  at times.

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Capt. BassinLou

Have never fished out of a kayak, let alone frog fish out of one.

I can say, however, in regards to frog fishing. I know some have mentioned 30lb braid.

In my neck of the woods. Frog fishing in heavy vegetation with light braid is just asking to have your heart broken and wallet upset.

I frog fish heavy vegetation with 50lbs.

To the OP. Experiment and see what works for you. Good luck!

J.W.

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on April 24, 2024, 06:10:34 PMHave never fished out of a kayak, let alone frog fish out of one.

I can say, however, in regards to frog fishing. I know some have mentioned 30lb braid.

In my neck of the woods. Frog fishing in heavy vegetation with light braid is just asking to have your heart broken and wallet upset.

I frog fish heavy vegetation with 50lbs.

To the OP. Experiment and see what works for you. Good luck!

Lou, so far so good, but you're probably right, I might be playing with fire  lo

coldfront

i'm not fishing around angry lizards. 

and am fearless about fishing for large bass with 10lb line (flouro, mono).  gotta hook em first.  worry about getting them to the boat next.

now granted, I'm not in the 'boatflip anything under 10 lb' club... but there's a point where logic and intelligence are things that can at times be useful to an angler...

lo

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff