Fishing Swim Worms ?

Started by chrisD46, November 11, 2023, 06:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

Fishing a swim worm (such as a Zoom Ultravibe Speed Worm) is something I have never thought about trying ? It appears a 1/8th ~ 3/16th oz. tungsten bullet weight , 3/0 offset round bend hook on #12 lb. to #15 lb. FC mainline would be in the ball park for rigging on a 7' MH Fast bait cast rod with 6:3:1 bait cast reel ... What is your swimming worm set up for bass and how do you fish it ?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on November 11, 2023, 06:30:47 AMFishing a swim worm (such as a Zoom Ultravibe Speed Worm) is something I have never thought about trying ? It appears a 1/8th ~ 3/16th oz. tungsten bullet weight , 3/0 offset round bend hook on #12 lb. to #15 lb. FC mainline would be in the ball park for rigging on a 7' MH Fast bait cast rod with 6:3:1 bait cast reel ... What is your swimming worm set up for bass and how do you fish it ?

The speed worm technique is one of my favorite techniques. It's big bass catcher for sure, especially on my home waters.

As far as my setup for this technique. It's highly effective using a 7 speed or higher baitcaster. 8, 9, or 10, speeds are even better! As far as weights and hooks. Depending on the size of the speed worm you are throwing, 1/8oz is the max! Ideal weight imho is 1/16oz. That's plenty of weight to keep the tail buzzing nicely. Keep in mind to rig the speed worm with the tail facing down for optimal buzzing. As far as rod. 4 power 7'3" rods Xf, or F tipped rods are my go to. Lastly hook. 4/0 EWG Superline hook is my recommendation. Anything less, and your just asking to have your heart broken on my home waters.

I don't want to hijack this thread, because its such a great topic, but I have several YT videos demonstrating how to fish the speed worm.

Very fun technique to say the least! Great topic Chris thank you for sharing!

Capt. BassinLou

I just so happen to have a Mega speed worm rigged. This one is from CPF Lures, and it's called the Thumper Pro.

Capt. BassinLou

I forgot to mention that pegging your weight helps it move through the vegetation more easily.

njpaulc

If you plan on fishing the worm horizontally, you should try a light belly weighted swim bait hook

Donald Garner

I don't have any Specific Worms that are just Swim Worms.  I do fish plastic worms using different techniques at various times through out the Spring up into late Fall. Below are the (2) types of worms that I will use as a Swimming Worm.  I fish these baits through hydrilla, standing timber, rip rap, creek channels and submerged bushes and trees.  Sometime I fish them across / through stump flats.  Most of the retrieves are just a slow steady motion enough to get the tails to move.

Swimming Worm Types: 7.5in and larger Ribbon Tail Style > V&M; Culprit; Zoom brands.

Swimming Worm Type: 7in Gator Tail Style > Zoom

Swimming Worm Hook Types Used Texas Rigged: EWG Hook or a Trokar/ V&M size 3/0 > 5/0 depending on the size / length of the worm

Swimming Worms Texas Rig setup # 1: BPS Extreme 7ft (H) or (MH) casting rod matched up with a Abu Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 baitcasting reel; Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb Mono; Weight 1/8 > 3/8oz worm sinker pegged

Swimming Worms Texas Rig setup # 2: Lee Smith Custom Rod (LSCR) (H) 7ft Custom Spiral Wrapped rod matched with an Abu Garcia Revo SX 6.4:1 baiting reel; Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb Mono; Weight 1/8 > 3/8oz worm sinker pegged

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Wizard

Most of my swim worms are 10-14 inches. 1/8-3/8 oz. bullet head weights with 4-7 (0) hooks. Mostly around standing timber and bluffs. Plum, Tequila Sunrise, Dead White and American Flag (metallic red, white and blue flecks in clear plastic). Switch speed and drop distance until you give up and try a 10 inch grub (which WILL work).

Wizard

chrisD46

Good replies so far - thanks ! I picked up a couple of packs of Yum Thump'n Dingers to try in Green Pumpkin and WM Pearl .

FlatsNBay

A swimming worm is one of my favorite techniques (isn't all techniques 😂). I differ from Lou slightly but that's ok, to each their own.

My 2 favorite swimming worms because of action price and value (more per pack) is the Zoom U Vibe and the Netbait Big Bopper. I like to rig them on a Gamakatsu offset roundbend 4/0 hook. I don't use a superline hook because I'm fishing it on 17 lb fluorocarbon and for the worms that I mentioned, an extra wide gap hook can be too wide because the thickness of the worm isn't very big. I generally use a 1/8 oz weight. I will go without a weight sometime if I'm buzzing it on top like a top water or a heavier weight if it's windy.

I've used the Yum Thumpin Dingers and have done real good on them but just know that they don't have as much thump as others. They are a little more subtle bait and a little thinner too.

A MH rod is perfect with whatever speed reel you feel comfortable.

It's a great search bait in weedy waters. Cast and reel and they'll hit it like a reaction bait.

J.W.

Am I the only one that likes to fish these weightless? I have caught quite a few on the Zoom brand ones weightless. If you want to fish it faster, of course you're going to need a weight on it to keep it down, but you can fish these things slow without one and get bit.

Donald Garner

Quote from: J.W. on November 13, 2023, 12:22:44 PMAm I the only one that likes to fish these weightless? I have caught quite a few on the Zoom brand ones weightless. If you want to fish it faster, of course you're going to need a weight on it to keep it down, but you can fish these things slow without one and get bit.

There has been a time or two that I fished mine weightless.  This usually occurs when fishing in water that is less than 5ft deep or over a Hydrilla bed that is just under the water's surface  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

I've swum just about any worm I have, from just above the bottom to the surface. Fast, slow, medium speed, it just plain works.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishingram24

Zoom UV or Net bait big bopper with 3/16-1/4 weight, 15 pound fluorocarbon, 7 or less gear ratio reel and your favorite rod, can't go wrong. First used a swimming worm probably 40 years with the Norman snaktrix and caught a ton on that worm.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

Rusty63

I have used the u vibe worm for years weighted and weightless. But the new Zoom Z-craw worm now gets my vote. It has 2 tails flapping all the way in. It seems to be a little bit better dropping or punching into the mats for me on a Texas rig. I have used it behind a swim jig also.